Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can using 95 oct on the 13 jk do any harm? I usually do a fill of 95 on my 2017 rav4 once a while to clean the injectors?

·
Super Moderator
6,804 Posts
It can't do any harm. But it isn't going to much, if any, good.
I would buy a can of Techron injector cleaner instead. Or pick the brand of your preference. Probably cheaper and may actually do some good.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never used any additives on the fuel since most friend mechanics told they didn't do much than take your bucks. But I am willing to give it a try on this occasion.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
OP, why do you think higher octane fuel cleans injectors more than lower octane fuel? Octane has nothing to do with that. Instead it raises the temperature and pressure point at which fuel ignites. Higher compression engines, typically found in sports cars and luxury cars, but sometimes other vehicles, need higher octane fuel. Unless the manufacturer specifies high octane fuel for your vehicle, using it is a pointless waste of money.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I never used any additives on the fuel since most friend mechanics told they didn't do much than take your bucks. But I am willing to give it a try on this occasion.

I used to have this philosophy, then my TJ (127K miles at the time) was getting a little hard to start and my zero turn lawnmower was as well. A friend finally convinced me to put an 8oz bottle of Seafoam in the TJ on the next fillup. It cleared up the issue. I put some in the mower as well and it runs like new.

Haven't put any in the Chief yet, but then it still has under 18K miles.

Reactions: gat and pkdailey4

·
Registered
581 Posts
Using too-high octane can definitely do harm, and there's zero evidence that it does any good for an engine that doesn't need it. I have no idea where this idea came from, and why it still persists, that it cleans anything. High octane can lead to unburnt fuel deposits on the exhaust valves.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Yes... Some gas companies do include extra additives to their 91+ octane fuels. (I guess so they can justify charging what they do).

For example, Exxon does this with their Synergy Supreme+

The quote below is from the Exxon site at: https://www.exxon.com/en/unleaded-gasoline

"Our newest detergent keeps your engine 2X cleaner for better gas mileage.‡‡ (Benefit available only in Synergy Supreme+™ premium gasoline)".

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Well, time to sit back with that bucket of popcorn and watch the fun...... :pop:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can using 95 oct on the 13 jk do any harm? I usually do a fill of 95 on my 2017 rav4 once a while to clean the injectors?
Hey, as pointed out in this thread, 95 octane won't have any real benefit unless you get an engine tune using something like a FlashPaq and you can then take advantage of the higher octane. The higher octane is really only there to prevent pre-detonation of the gas. Also as said, some of the (Oil) companies put fuel additives which supposedly help keep your fuel system clean but the amount is really minute and you would need to only use that brand to ever accumulate enough of the additive benefit.

There is a gent on YouTube with a channel named "Project Farm" (755k subscribers) who has done extensive testing on gas pump additives and additional fuel additives. Another person is "Chris Fix (5.65M subscribers) whose video you posted below, who has also extensively tested Seafoam and checked the cylinders with a bore scope in previous videos and reports that it does have some documentable benefit. Both of these guys are top notch

Myself, I have a 2013 JKU also and 2 years ago when I added a lift, I bought a FlashPaq to recalibrate my speedometer for larger tires. Since it was included, I also experimented with the engine tunes. I now run 95 octane with their 95 tune and have more pep (noticeable, not tremendous amount), but I've recently wondered if it's worth the $ .60/gal difference in price. I also throw in a can of Seafoam about every 7-10 tankful’s. I've used Seafoam on my yard equipment for years and have never had a fuel system issue. Not that expensive ($7/can on sale) so it's cheap insurance.

Good luck with the JK

·
Registered
581 Posts
About every 25k I throw in a bottle of Sea Foam or Lucas injector cleaner. Probably overkill, but it's cheap and makes me feel better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts