Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one actually connect the antenna for BOTH regular radio and CB use?

What connectors are required and if you do this can you use both radios at the same time without issues?

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I don't think you can use the antennaX for a CB. CB antennas and their cables are usually "matched" to the radio using a special meter (SWR meter I believe, it's been a long time).

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
You would melt your radio even if it did connect. You need a proper CB antenna. They are two veryyyy different antennas.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Antenna X makes a CB antenna but I'm not sure it's a dual AM/FM & CB antenna. Generally, I've heard the dual antennas don't work so well.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Buy a CB specific antenna. If you don't, you will likely fry your power amplifier inside of the radio due to a mismatched Standing Wave Ratio [SWR]. Your ideal setting is 1:1 and an antenna specifically made to transmit/receive in the 11 meter band will give you that with tuning. Otherwise, you will get ridiculous ratios and very short transmission ranges, until the amp fries.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gents, I am talking about this:

CB Replacement AM FM ANTENNA - 2007 thru 2014 Jeep WRANGLER Unlimited JK

basically this is the description from the website. I get what you are saying with frying amps and stuff to a point but why then do they sell this item if it will cause damage???

Description:
UPGRADE your ugly factory (31 inch) metal shaft antenna with this rugged yet functional (24” inch) CB antenna. If you are unsure that it fits, try unscrewing the existing antenna mast off. If it twists right off, then this antenna WILL FIT since it COMES WITH VEHICLE SPECIFIC ADAPTERS (no two antennas are the same fit).

How to put it on!
Installation is very simple. This is a PLUG-N-PLAY antenna, which means it screws onto your existing antenna mount (a direct bolt-on part, no wiring involved) and takes a minute to do.
How is the reception?
This high quality CB Antenna maintains your stock AM FM reception and in most cases IMPROVES your reception. You can also connect your CB radio to this antenna which eliminates the need for a second antenna mounted on your vehicle. PLEASE NOTE:
We do not provide connections to your CB radio. We only provide the connections to your vehicles stock antenna mount.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
^^^ I use this antenna as a replacement for the stock AM/FM antenna and it works well for that purpose. As a CB antenna, I'm not so sure. For one thing, you can't tune it.

If you try it for both, I'll be curious how well it works. I just know that dual antennas generally get bad reviews for use as a CB antenna. I use a separate Firestik for my CB.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm setting this up today with an "inverse multiplexer" for AM/FM + CB and the AntennaX 24" CB antenna on the stock FM mount.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I had the same question just a week or so ago.. I could not get a straight answer from the vendor so I bought a Firestick instead.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So far no luck using this for cb in the stock mount. SWR is between 4 and 6. I'm using a procom multiplexer, 40-eu30 to motorola male and female and p259 to female motorola to connect everything up. Because of the short distance to the radio I'm only using a jumper cable for the coax.

Can the short coax be the reason for high SWR?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Was thinking about going with this antenna too. Based on product description. The consensus here though is this product doesn't work as advertised???

·
Registered
457 Posts
^^^ I use this antenna as a replacement for the stock AM/FM antenna and it works well for that purpose. As a CB antenna, I'm not so sure. For one thing, you can't tune it.

If you try it for both, I'll be curious how well it works. I just know that dual antennas generally get bad reviews for use as a CB antenna. I use a separate Firestik for my CB.
Ditto 100%^^^
I think it's considered a "CB" style.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Pretty much sounds like this is just a "hey it looks cool" replacement for the stock am/fm antenna. Not really a CB antenna. Not sure why they market it as such if it doesn't really do that?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Directly from their website. "PLEASE NOTE:
We do not provide connections to your CB radio. We only provide the connections to your vehicles stock antenna mount."

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see this thread came back and I will tell you my take on it. I do have the antenna-X 31" antenna and it a great stock RADIO replacement antenna. I have a 4' firestick for my CB and it does its job perfectly. I know an antenna has to be tuned and tuning antennas line this require something I don't want to do.
I love the look, height and functionality of the Antenna-X but it shouldn't be marketed as a CB also antenna in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
So far no luck using this for cb in the stock mount. SWR is between 4 and 6. I'm using a procom multiplexer, 40-eu30 to motorola male and female and p259 to female motorola to connect everything up. Because of the short distance to the radio I'm only using a jumper cable for the coax.

Can the short coax be the reason for high SWR?
No comments on using it as a cb antenna but the coax is always supposed to be 18' even if you have to coil it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just some CB talk from my testing and combo, nothing Antenna X specific.

I just installed a 2' Firestik2 antenna last night (had a 3'Firefly), with an 18' Firering cable in the hood/fender channel on the drivers side, using the JK specific stainless channel mount (forget where I got it). Also bonded the frame to the body at all 4 corners using 1.5" tin coated copper braided straps that we made by soldering the ends solid and drilling holes in them. Also bonded the hood hinge to the body on the drivers side. We were able to achieve a 2.25 SWR on his meter and a 1.7 SWR on the radios internal meter (Uniden 980 SSB). We tested it out last night and from his XJ to my JK and were able to achieve 5.25 miles straight line before complete signal loss, measured by Google Earth. We also re-installed the 3' Firefly, did the same test and the results were nearly the same but the 2' Firestik was slightly more consistent at the longest ranges. Couple that with the lower profile of the 2' antenna and it's what I'm choosing to keep in place. It's pretty impressive results for such a short antenna and the install is super clean looking.
Previously with the 3' Firefly and no frame to body bonding with an SWR of right around 2, using the same antenna location and radio, the maximum distance we were able to achieve was ~3 miles straight line measured using Google Earth.
Edit; I forgot about the whistle that the taller 3' Firefly created at 55mph and faster, in the hood channel mount location. Annoying!!

If anyone wants to see pics, I can take some and start a new thread.

·
Registered
741 Posts
No comments on using it as a cb antenna but the coax is always supposed to be 18' even if you have to coil it.
That the coax must be 18' is a hoax. This has been proved wrong many times. When you use the SWR meter don't you use a short jumper? Then your cable is no longer exactly 18'.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts