Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question here: Is is better to use the clutch when wanting to get out of gear to coast, or should I just pull the stick out of gear. A friend of mine has said that I can just pull it out of gear without using the clutch, but the reason I ask is because sometimes it feels a lot harder to pull out. I don't want to do any damage to the rig by doing so, but I also don't want to wear out the clutch as much by clutching. I am still beginnerish on manual but have improved dramatically from when I started.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Lol it's fine just don't be on the gas when you do. Or just push the clutch in put in neutral then let it out. Either will do and won't hurt anything

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
use the clutch

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys

·
Registered
581 Posts
A clutch is cheaper to replace than a tranny. Most manuals will go into neutral w/o damage if you are skilled. The trick is to load the gears a bit by accelerating slightly, then let off the gas pedal and ease the stick into neutral as the gears unload. If done correctly, it's silky smooth.

BUT

The clutch wear and tear from clutching into neutral is negligable, so IMO it's fruitless to do it without the clutch unless you just want to prove you can. A manual should never be forced in or out of gear.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Never pull hard on the stick to get it in or out of gear. Just bump the gas and it should pop right out. I do it all the time and I'm not worried about any damage.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
You can shift up or down without the clutch and without grinding with practice. With a hydraulic clutch it'll probably never be an issue, but with a cable or mechanical clutch linkage it a good skill to have.

The key is timing and practice. You can develop a feel for when to shift.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I drive a truck for a living I have a 10 speed I float ( in and out of gear with out clutch ) every gear that I have. I do the same in my TJ but as it has already been said it takes lots of time is practice

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I use the clutch every time...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
OklaTJ said:
I drive a truck for a living I have a 10 speed I float ( in and out of gear with out clutch ) every gear that I have. I do the same in my TJ but as it has already been said it takes lots of time is practice
X2--- I too drive 18 whlr, and float gears always, cept when torque locked, I'll use the clutch,, up shifting downhill with the tach maxed... Clutches in most all vehicles are designed to last as long as the engine. In 40 years of driving only stick shifts in my personal vehicles, I've only replaced one clutch, my 89 f150 broke some fingers, at 145000 miles. The clutch itself was fine, milling marks were still on it, but those blasted fingers finally gave out.. If you guys are replacing clutches often, it's cause your riding the clutch .. All vehicles are designed to take off in first gear, right off of idle.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
i never touch the stick unless the clutch is fully pushed in. i hold the clutch in while waiting at stop lights, and when coasting down hill.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It is easiest to get it into neutral if while you are coming off the accelerator you have pressure towards neutral already then it will slip right out of gear without any effort at all.

When up-shifting, truckers will use that technique and then the shifter will also slide into the next gear and then you throttle up.

For down-shifting you let off the accelerator to hit neutral and then throttle up gently and she'll slide right in again.

It does take practice and when you can do it in the likes of a Jeep it really makes passengers take note and leaves them scratching their heads!

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
I've floated the clutch in every standard I've ever owned. In some cases I didn't have a choice due to cable or linkage failure.

If done correctly, it doesn't hurt the clutch or the transmission. Not an issue.

For a real challange, do it in a VW Bug (the real thing, not the fake ones they sell now), or a M-35 (Duece and a half), or get a late 70s FSJ (Full Size Jeep) with an aluminum clutch linkage. You'll have to eventually in all 3 cases.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i never touch the stick unless the clutch is fully pushed in. i hold the clutch in while waiting at stop lights, and when coasting down hill.
This will cause your clutch to burn out faster than it should..
The clutch should be used fully, but also abruptly and not for long periods of time. :punk:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've floated clutches in several vehicles, and my jeep is by far the most difficult I've had yet. While you can do it, doesn't necessarily mean its worth it. The clutch is good, its your friend, use it. (I do).

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Mr Mac said:
It is easiest to get it into neutral if while you are coming off the accelerator you have pressure towards neutral already then it will slip right out of gear without any effort at all.

When up-shifting, truckers will use that technique and then the shifter will also slide into the next gear and then you throttle up.

For down-shifting you let off the accelerator to hit neutral and then throttle up gently and she'll slide right in again.

It does take practice and when you can do it in the likes of a Jeep it really makes passengers take note and leaves them scratching their heads!
Very true its smooth

1 - 20 of 22 Posts