Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to use the factory bluetooth speaker with a aftermarket head unit or will I lose it and have to run a seperate mic?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Do you mean the factory mic? If so, you can't use it with an aftermarket head unit.
That's 100% WRONG! You CAN use it. You just have to make sure you get the correct wiring harness to retain UConnect.

There is no factory Bluetooth "speaker." The sound comes through the same speakers as the audio system.

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's 100% WRONG! You CAN use it. You just have to make sure you get the correct wiring harness to retain UConnect. There is no factory Bluetooth "speaker." The sound comes through the same speakers as the audio system.
I'm referring to just the microphone not UConnect. Several people on here tried to use the mic with an aftermarket head unit and ended up with terrible sound and Echo. I dismantled it and tried to wire it to an aftermarket head unit mic input with rotten results.

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
You're correct. With aftermarket radios, they use a different style of mic than the Uconnect system. The aftermarket radios don't use a 12 v powered mic and Uconnect's mic is a 12v powered mic. Completely 2 different styles.

I'm referring to just the microphone not UConnect. Several people on here tried to use the mic with an aftermarket head unit and ended up with terrible sound and Echo. I dismantled it and tried to wire it to an aftermarket head unit mic input with rotten results.

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
There's not an aftermarket wiring harness that allows the use of the factory Uconnect mic. iData Link sells a module (Maestro) which retains the factory Uconnect system but it only works with a couple of special radios.
But as for using the factory mic with an aftermarket radio, the 2 styles are not compatible with each other.

That's 100% WRONG! You CAN use it. You just have to make sure you get the correct wiring harness to retain UConnect.

There is no factory Bluetooth "speaker." The sound comes through the same speakers as the audio system.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have a Pioneer NEX head unit...UConnect works exactly the same as it did with the OEM system...same mic. The OP asked if it was possible to use the factory mic with an aftermarket head unit. The answer is yes, depending, I guess, on which head unit.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a Pioneer NEX head unit...UConnect works exactly the same as it did with the OEM system...same mic. The OP asked if it was possible to use the factory mic with an aftermarket head unit. The answer is yes, depending, I guess, on which head unit.
Correct....I have a ken wood head unit and the idatalink maestro programmable harness and it can use the factory uconnect Bluetooth. However, I found it better while I was there to just go ahead and run the mic that came with the head unit. I think the echo controls etc are better with it plus then I can rely on what voice dialing the head unit does (including my Siri button on the steering wheel) vs what the factory Bluetooth allowed.

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
As I mentioned, there are a few radios that will work with the factory Uconnect system and need to Maestro kit in order to do so. Perhaps the "NEX" may be able to use it however most aftermarket radios will not be able to.

"yes" can be a correct answer if you use the Idatalink piece and one of the very limited radios that work with it. But of not, then "no" is the correct answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts