Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have searched everywhere and can't find a reasonable answers so here goes. It sounds like the worst part of a Jeep getting wet can be the clockwork spring in the steering column. While I have found ways to prevent water everywhere else I can't find anything to protect this one area. I was thinking of just wrapping plastic wrap around the steering column to keep water out. Thoughts? Other ideas? There used to be a person making covers but that is long gone....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of something that might look better. A clear wrap on it seemed cleaner than a white or black garbage bag draped over the column.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi all,
I have searched everywhere and can't find a reasonable answers so here goes. It sounds like the worst part of a Jeep getting wet can be the clockwork spring in the steering column. While I have found ways to prevent water everywhere else I can't find anything to protect this one area. I was thinking of just wrapping plastic wrap around the steering column to keep water out. Thoughts? Other ideas? There used to be a person making covers but that is long gone....
I used to do the plastic bag trick on the middle dash area of my old TJ to keep water out of the stereo but can't see how you could affix plastic around the steering column to keep water out. Do you have any pictures of this being done effectively?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any photos as this is just a theory right now. I'm very concerned about that clockwork gear as it sounds like a lot can go wrong if it gets wet. My idea is just to wrap clear plastic wrap (food/Saran wrap) over the steering column. I figured I wasn't the first guy with this idea so I wanted to put it out there for comments. The shrink wrap idea is along the same lines and may work better. I don't think it can do any damage but I really have no idea....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts