Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to wait until summer to buy a Spiderweb Shade, obviously to stay cooler in the hot sun. But I caught a few posts where people said that because it lowers wind turbulence, a Spider Shade can actually keep you warmer in the cooler months. As spring arrives, I wondered if this would help jumpstart my top-down season.

So I bought one and sure enough, that is what I found—it does keep me warmer when it’s cool out.

More details: I am a top down fanatic—I feel cramped and stifled in a closed up car. In my BMW convertible (that I traded for the jeep!), because of its excellent wind shadow, I would routinely drive it top down in outside temps down to the high 50’s. As long as the sun was out, and the side windows were up, I stayed warm (I also had a wind deflector behind the drivers seat, which helped a lot).

But with my Wrangler, even just popping the sunrider top, I normally have to wait till the outside temp gets to low 70’s or warmer before I can really enjoy the top down experience. Otherwise, even with the heater at full blast, the turbulent air pushing wind into the seating area usually makes it too cool for me at highway speeds. (I don’t feel like wearing a parka when I drive).

But with the Spiderweb Shade installed (I got the full sized one, for my Unlimited), and the heat up, I can easily stay warm in a tee shirt even with the outside temps down in the low 60’s. Now I can drive a lot more time with that top down feeling. (Again, this is with just the sunrider open. I still have the rest of the premium soft top on and the windows zipped up.)

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
You might also want to check out ACE Engineering's Lava jacket, too. It has a sleeve that connects directly to the vents and allows you to blow hot (or cool) air directly inside the jacket to keep you warm (cool). It's a light jacket to boot, so you don't feel like you're wearing a parka.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might also want to check out ACE Engineering's Lava jacket, too. It has a sleeve that connects directly to the vents and allows you to blow hot (or cool) air directly inside the jacket to keep you warm (cool). It's a light jacket to boot, so you don't feel like you're wearing a parka.
Tool cool! I just checked the reviews, and a post here on WF about them, and everyone who has one of these loves them, so I just ordered one! Thx for the tip.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The SWS works amazingly well, it will extend the comfort rang by ±10-15º and even lower with heated seats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts