Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had the Jeep JKURX for 4500 miles. Now in dealer for 3rd time. First time the brakes shield was rubbing, Driver door closed harder than others, vents didn't work and supension and axle was rusting. Brakes fixed, door about the same, vents started working and rust was my my problem.

3000 miles in vents stopped working again. Found wiring problem and corrected. Gas mileage shoots up from 16.7 to 18.0. Nice.

4500 miles. Vents working but front windows stopped working. Pull over. Turn off engine. Restart. All is well. Later, vents start working when they are turned off. I turn them on and bock off, they shut off. Then evic resets to default screen. Gas mileage drops to record low of 16.3. Looks like something is drawing current.

:iamhappy:

Look I love the Jeep, the community. Seriously. I am very happy. The driver door, I can live with rather than have paint scratched up trying to fix it. The temperature warning from superchips is interesting but not concerning. I won't reprogram the engine with superchips but I will tell you it is an awesome display. I really like the unit.

If you are getting really bad gas mileage with your rubi, maybe you have a skinny pedal problem, maybe you have a wiring issue. Just saying. I'll let you know if they run an alternator current draw test.

Any other ideas welcome. They asked me if I wanted anything else. I almost said a 2.5" teraflex lift. So on the fence. I want Duratracs before winter. The stock mud tires aren't rated well in snow. Might take plunge and make them 35" :bop:

·
Registered
615 Posts
If they asked me if I wanted anything else I would have said a new JEEP once I have an electrical Issue that they have apparently not fixed that would scare the bejezzous out of Me and it would be gone what is going to happen when your 3year 36k warranty is out and it starts again. it is out of your POCKET I would not expect a new Jeep that cost that much money to have those issues just my 2 cents but I would not deal with that. good luck

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I am not faulting or being critical of anyone...and I have worked in "factories" for many years now. With the "standards" we place on manufactures of anything we purchase, it is getting tougher and tougher to find vehicles (or anything) with "problems".

I remember vehicles from the '60s, '70s, '80s.....and even some of the more recent ones in the in the '90s...and the quality now compared to the quality than is night and day different...and things the vehicles can do now were "pipe dreams" back than if even thought of.......My whole point...as good as things have gotten...as many improvements, and creature comforts that have been added, we still need to remember these are vehicles made by a person and not everyone is going to be perfect. Some will have issues, and some issues are more of a problem than others.

Example: If you look "hard enough" every vehicle has "something wrong with it". They question or is issue is how major is it? Is the paint slightly off, or dirt in the paint? Are the axles not set exactly straight maybe off a degree or 2? How about the motor and the infamous "casting sand" but not enough to cause an issue? What about "fit and finish and interior trim"? Is it all perfect, or do you not notice it because of where you sit in the Jeep?
I agree they should all be "Perfect" no issues, but we need to remember that whether it is our Jeep, a new TV, computer, house etc. There will be something wrong with it, the question is what we do to correct it.
Being mad at dealer or the inantimate object only causes us more stress.

To OP sorry for the issues you have been having hope they are corrected with a minimal amount of dealing with the dealer...GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
863 Posts
With the issues you mentioned I would ask for a new Jeep or at least for them to GIVE you a max care lifetime warranty that will cover any of that crap if it were to happen in the future. I have read of this warranty being sold for around $2200-$3200. They may throw it in. There is always the lemon law too, not sure if your situation would fit that.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
....that's not one of those that was sitting on the flooded lots in some of those big storms is it?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I would entertain this as well, worst case scenario, you drive it for 3 to 5 years and trade it in. At least things will be covered while you own it.
With the issues you mentioned I would ask for a new Jeep or at least for them to GIVE you a max care lifetime warranty that will cover any of that crap if it were to happen in the future. I have read of this warranty being sold for around $2200-$3200. They may throw it in. There is always the lemon law too, not sure if your situation would fit that.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Are not previously reported (and worked-on) issues covered even when the warranty period expires?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Electrical problems can be frustrating and difficult to fix, so I feel for you. But in fairness, I don't think your Jeep is typical. I have not had mine in for anything in the over a year that I have owned it other than an oil change. It has had zero problems. Looking around the thing, it all seems to be put together well. The underside is clean and looks like the day I drove it off the lot - more to do with where I live than anything else. Consumers will vary in their tolerance of things too. For example, my doors all close hard and I have the little door ajar light on half the time I go somewhere with people. I have learned you have to slam them and I live with that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
the doors all fit tight, go the dealer lot and go to the new or used wrangler section.....open and close every door on them.....the wind noise will be immense if they are not super tight and the door gaps wont line up....nature of the beast, not saying there isn't a limit for too tight as there surely would be just stating a fact, i know the op said the drivers door was worse than the rest....

Paul, what do you mean by your vents don't work? quits blowing air all together or doesn't switch modes? incorrect temps coming out? what exactly is happening?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are not previously reported (and worked-on) issues covered even when the warranty period expires?
technically no they are out of warranty when it expires, however, if you have a problem that you have repeatedly reported the dealer can usually "goodwill" warranty it out of warranty, a small deductible or copay may apply at times when this happens and other times it wont depends on the cost of the repairs, when it was last reported and how many times it was reported will make the difference....and by reported I don't mean calling your dealer and telling them it happened again, that does nothing. there has to be a repair order that you got back paperwork on it saying they looked at it...if the dealer wont goodwill it, generally a call to customer service with the copies of your repair orders from the times they looked at it in hand will get the job done. usually nothing with more than 24,000 miles and 2 years past the expiration will get approved, the farther out you get from warranty expiration the larger your copay becomes......

again to the op.....what year is your jkurx? I can check bulletins and stuff if you want, I ran a search on 13 models and found that there was one reguarding blower not blowing intermittently for periods of 20 seconds or less stating to replace the heater control head. chrysler star case Number: 1324000017. I didn't look to much into it because im still not sure what your problem is exactly to know if it fits anything and the year could determine if it applies or not as well

·
Registered
614 Posts
My 2014 JKUR with 7000 miles has been great. There are some.little things that I've noticed. A window seal pinched on the inside, no leaks. Also the plastic used on the cabin is garbage. If you bloom at it wrong it'll scratch.

Mechanically, the jeep has been awesome. I've driven through mud that came up to the hood, I've driven through a stream that comes up to the door seals. I've dropped down on to a rock off a small ledge and banged the underside. I drove up rocks and boulders and expllored the unknown. After all of that, the jeep brought me home safely without a single complaint. The next day I washed it, took the doors off and went for a cruise. What other vehicle can do that stock?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I feel your pain. I too love my Jeep but it's in for the 4th time for the casting sand/mixed coolant/sludge/no heat/waterfall sound behind the glove box-we don't know or won't admit the cause issue. And the interior has been damaged by the techs while working on it. I've already spoken to the sales manager about the possibility of trading it on a new (hopefully problem free) one. Mine is only 10 months old and I've been dealing with this stuff for 5 of those months.

Good luck, and I hope your issues get resolved.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
....that's not one of those that was sitting on the flooded lots in some of those big storms is it?
No. I called the dealer and asked specifically. He had been asked before and new his elevation above sea level, parking lot slope... Pretty sure it wasn't. You can actually see where the undercoating from factory wasn't applied at all. They simply missed spots.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
No. I called the dealer and asked specifically. He had been asked before and new his elevation above sea level, parking lot slope... Pretty sure it wasn't. You can actually see where the undercoating from factory wasn't applied at all. They simply missed spots.
The "rust" is pretty common to Jeep. It doesn't make me happy, but I don't think its a your Jeep thing. They all have quite a bit of rust on the underbelly. In my industry, where stainless steel needs to remain "stainless", we call that "rouging". If it ain't painted, it will rouge.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the doors all fit tight, go the dealer lot and go to the new or used wrangler section.....open and close every door on them.....the wind noise will be immense if they are not super tight and the door gaps wont line up....nature of the beast, not saying there isn't a limit for too tight as there surely would be just stating a fact, i know the op said the drivers door was worse than the rest....

The other three doors are much easier to close, but all have the air seal issue. I don't mind that. The driver door sharply pops when you open the door. The other three doors don't do that. When you close it, it's like it is binding.

Paul, what do you mean by your vents don't work? quits blowing air all together or doesn't switch modes? incorrect temps coming out? what exactly is happening?

The blower works, but only comes out windshield. If I rotate knob on right, nothing changes. When working, vents towards driver will output air.

Recent problem changed, vents work. Temperture doesn't. Hot temperature didn't adjust well in manual mode. When I adjust temperature to warmer, it stays same warm-ish temperature. When I max out the manual temperature setting, it starts blowing out jet engine exhaust hot temperature.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't look to much into it because im still not sure what your problem is exactly to know if it fits anything and the year could determine if it applies or not as well
I appreciate you looking! It is a 2014 JKURX. I adore the vehicle. Very nice outside of the issues.

If it helps, the VIN is 1C4HJWFG8EL202047 (I believe). I have a window sticker printout laying around. I'm pretty sure it's the right one.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel your pain. I too love my Jeep but it's in for the 4th time for the casting sand/mixed coolant/sludge/no heat/waterfall sound behind the glove box-we don't know or won't admit the cause issue. And the interior has been damaged by the techs while working on it. I've already spoken to the sales manager about the possibility of trading it on a new (hopefully problem free) one. Mine is only 10 months old and I've been dealing with this stuff for 5 of those months.

Good luck, and I hope your issues get resolved.
Best of luck and I really hope your issues get resolved. I get nervous every time I take it to be worked on. I will call Chrysler on Monday.

I bought the lifetime warranty after it had issues in first 10 miles. I didn't think much of it, but the forum helped me to find a lifetime maxcare for under $2,000. I'm glad I bought it, but it pushes the total price (Tax, title, PITI :) ) price almost $50K. If you are keeping your Jeep, I strongly recommend it.

Everything is hit or miss. The question is can Jeep make a miss into a hit. You might try another dealer if the one you are using isn't able to resolve it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had the front seat upholstery replaced . The white stitching was stained in several spots on both front seats . The seats looked ok after the repair , but my carpets and anything on the floor (dog leads , binocular bag , etc...) was filthy from being walked on by the tech . I had to wash the floor mats and clean the carpet . I never really got the dog leads clean , the were stained from the dirt and grease . They also changed a fog lamp that had moisture in it . The tech dug up the plastic filler strip between the bumper and the grill getting the plastic retainers out . They also dug up the plastic retainers that hold in the grill , and scratched the grill near the retainers . I was very disappointed with the quality of work preformed at the dealership . I hope I don't have too many problems with my Jeep , I don't want to have to take it to the dealer .

·
Registered
429 Posts
Best of luck and I really hope your issues get resolved. I get nervous every time I take it to be worked on. I will call Chrysler on Monday. I bought the lifetime warranty after it had issues in first 10 miles. I didn't think much of it, but the forum helped me to find a lifetime maxcare for under $2,000. I'm glad I bought it, but it pushes the total price (Tax, title, PITI :) ) price almost $50K. If you are keeping your Jeep, I strongly recommend it. Everything is hit or miss. The question is can Jeep make a miss into a hit. You might try another dealer if the one you are using isn't able to resolve it.
Thanks, and I hope yours issues are resolved as well. As for the Max Care, that is definitely something I've been considering. As is trading it in and starting over, also with the Max Care included on the new one. We'll see what happens. They've had it since Wednesday now and today is Sunday. Thankfully I have a rental while they try and figure it out.

·
Registered
750 Posts
there is no way i could be at all happy if i were in your shoes. buying a JKURX and dropping over $40K and still having issues like you would in a beater. that is BS. you have lot better attitude than me lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts