Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this hitch mounted cargo carrier on a Sahara? The distance from top inside of 2" receiver is 4.5 inches to the bottom of the tire and the outside cage of the carrier would have to clear the spare tire. I measured 8" from the hitch receiver to outside edge of spare. Would prefer to avoid a hitch extension as I'm sure it would contribute to the slop you typically see when using these cargo carriers. The picture on Quadratec site looks like it has a hitch extender and no measurement is given for length of hitch arm.

Thule UWSCARRIER - UWS Aluminum Hitch Carrier - Quadratec

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Located some specs on this carrier. Looks like I will need a hitch extension to clear the spare with this particular cargo carrier.

Specs:
Dimensions: 51" long x 23" wide x 6" tall
6" side rails
6" from center of hitch pin hole to carrier platform
Construction: 0.063 aluminum tread plate
Capacity: up to 500 lbs
1-Year warranty

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I am not familiar with this particular product, but I have never heard a bad thing about any product with the Thule name. That said, if it has the specs you need, I would feel confident with it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am looking at the same hitch for my Arctic (Sahara). Did you buy it and did you need the extension? thanks. Quadratec says it will fit, but I don't see how.

·
Registered
120 Posts
NFRs2000NYC said:
Big deal, get a hitch extension, they are only $25 bucks or so.
Already done. I bought the UWS carrier and hitch extension from Amazon. Amazon had several extensions, but I went with the Draw-Tite.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UWS Cargo Carrier

I haven't ordered mine yet, but I'm curious about how well it worked with the hitch extension. Based on the measurements I took, it didn't look like it would work without the extension. Another option may be a dual receiver extension that would drop the receiver low enough to clear the spare.

For now, I'm going with Thule gutter mount feet and crossbars with a Thule cargo box up top. Mine is a 2-door hardtop so it will place the cargo box well forward of the windshield.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I picked up the Heininger hitch extension to use with my Yakima bike rach.

Heininger 6000 Advantage Adjustable 11-Inch Hitch Extension : Amazon.com : Automotive

I chose that particular hitch extension for the anti-wobble/sway feature. It has two adjustments for how far or short you need to extend something out.

I plan to use it with a cargo carrier I get in the future too. I'm really liking the Rola Adventure System swing-away carrier. Pricey but very convenient in that it swings away and allows the use of your tail gate.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Shane, The UWS carrier arrived yetserday. Very sturdy yet light. It will NOT fit my stock JK with Jeep hitch, without an extender. The hitch extender should arrive today. I went for the Draw-Tite brand hitch extender, paying a little more for the quality. I'll let you know how it works this weekend when I do some chores. :wavey:

·
Registered
120 Posts
The hitch extender and UWS carrier worked great. I would have been fine with an 8 inch extender instead of a 14 inch.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I ordered an eight inch. That 14" is waaaaaay too long. I'll have the shorter extension by the time I need to pick up my mower. The UWS carrier was only 30 pounds and the mower was all I carried, so it didn't seem to cause any damage. Hopefully this info helps anyone else looking for this type of set up.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts