Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when will DC have this engine in the JK?

http://www.mbusa.com/campaigns/alternative-fuels/index.do

Engine 2,987-cc DOHC 24-valve V-6. High-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block. Alloy heads. Counter-rotating balance shaft.

Net power 215 hp @ 3,800 rpm
Net torque 398 lb-ft @ 1,600 - 2,800 rpm
Compression ratio 18.0:1
Fuel requirement
Ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel.

Fuel and ignition system Third-generation Common-rail Direct Injection (CDI). Four valves per cylinder. Variable Nozzle Turbine (VNT) turbocharger with electronically adjustable turbo blades. Exhaust gas recirculation with electronically controlled valve. Electronically controlled intake air throttling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
well there seems to be alot of political red tape. For some reason the EPA refuses to certify most of Mercedes diesel options. I think it may have something to do with the fact their engines kick some major tail and would end up putting out most domestics. Imagine that V-6 in a new grandy. you would be able to tow near as much as an excursion, and still yeild much better MPG.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Supposedly we are going to start seeing that Blutech diesel in Chrysler vehicles starting in 08. However who knows how long it might take to get it in the JK. There's plenty of room for it under that hood, and I think the Drivetrain at least in a Rubicon can handle it.

Definitely be cool to get 20 MPG driving around in your JK on 37's. :D

I do know of a couple guys here locally that have ordered and are supposed to receive their MB's with that engine in it sometime this summer.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
This(motor in specific) has been a hot topic rumor for the past year or 2. Firstly being rumored to be in the new GrandCherokee and even in the JK. The main reason we don't see it now is the new EPA diesle standards, which killed the CRD Liberty... even the Cummins was redone and now a 6.7L... and Ford went with a new, larger PowerStroke. Give them a few years, early '09, and then we might start seeing more diesels in Jeeps, although they would need new drivetrain components to back it up.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
here in europe we still have a JK with a diesel engine.
it´s a i4 2.8 CRD engine from mercedes with 190 HP and 30% more torque than the 3.8 V6.
90% of all JKs here come with that engine. it´s more like the TJs i6 and needs 25% less fuel than the 3.8 i6.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
here in europe we still have a JK with a diesel engine.
it´s a i4 2.8 CRD engine from mercedes with 190 HP and 30% more torque than the 3.8 V6.
90% of all JKs here come with that engine. it´s more like the TJs i6 and needs 25% less fuel than the 3.8 i6.
My friend is an exec at DC in Montvale and says that the sole reason that we don't have this engine in the US right now is that they don't believe that it would sell well enough to justify it. They've gotten it to pass 50 state emissions.
And, get this, the price point they were hitting was a mere $1700 for it.

I wonder who they poll for their decisions?

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
I can´t believe that. All over the world (Europe, Canada, Asia, ...) the 2.8L CRD JK is way more popular than the 3.8L V6. Is the US of A really the only country in the world where they don´t like economical and strong engines?

In the late eighties that was the same over there. But that was the time when diesel engines in cars sound and handled like truck engines. That time is over for many years.
Even in Mercedes S or BMW 7 cars the strong and economical diesel engines are very popular.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I can´t believe that. All over the world (Europe, Canada, Asia, ...) the 2.8L CRD JK is way more popular than the 3.8L V6. Is the US of A really the only country in the world where they don´t like economical and strong engines?

In the late eighties that was the same over there. But that was the time when diesel engines in cars sound and handled like truck engines. That time is over for many years.
Even in Mercedes S or BMW 7 cars the strong and economical diesel engines are very popular.
That is a very good argument...Might it be more related to a "financial/business" decision by Daimler/Mercedes NOT to supply Chrysler with diesel engines for the USA market..???
This is not the first feud between Chrysler and Daimler...
Here an article which is just the tip of the iceberg...

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Nah; DC wanted it but did a very lengthy and detailed demographic survey to see if it would be economically feasible to bring the diesel here. They tried two price points, $1700 and $1200 ----- they got close to the numbers with $1200 but didn't believe that people would actually commit.
I think the mistake was where they had introduced diesel engines previously, the Libby and Grand Cherokee. Neither of which is a truck-truck. They're more soccer-mom than overlander or wheeler.
I think they're being short-sighted in their approach and asking the wrong questions.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've said many times in other diesel threads... most of us have our heads up our butt when it comes to diesel.
My wife's Bluetec GL Benz burns cleaner and smells 100% better than a gas burner. And this behemoth gets an average of 28 miles per gallon on the highway (not bad for 5,500lbs.).
I guess the old adage "you'll never know until you own one" has never been more true for today's clean diesel.

·
Premium Member
28,214 Posts
the reason ive always heard is cause a majority of americans still remember the diesels that gm put out in the 80s, and all of their slow smokey goodness, so they tend to shy away from diesel.
its a pitty though, the 3.0 crd would be sweet in a jk. altouhg it would be nice if crysler put the 6.7 cummins into it, after all it will fit

·
Premium Member
28,214 Posts
the 6.7 meets the 2010 emision standards, thats good enough for me, besides u would have to mod the snot out of a 4 cyl to get 600+ foot pounds of torque out of it

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
the 6.7 meets the 2010 emision standards, thats good enough for me, besides u would have to mod the snot out of a 4 cyl to get 600+ foot pounds of torque out of it
It would break every locking diff made...

·
Premium Member
28,214 Posts
600 foot pounds isnt that much for a diesel, the ultra heavy moded trucks are pushing over 1,000 hp, with well over 1,500 foot pounds, and they seem to do just fine :)

·
Premium Member
28,214 Posts
so mabey a 6.7 cummins into a jeep wouldnt be practical, or very cost effective, but think of how cool it would be

·
Registered
366 Posts
it would be sweet but i still want a 6.1 or 5.7 liter hemi the possibilities are endless though

·
Premium Member
28,214 Posts
as far as endless possibilities go, how bout a 2 door jk stretched to unlimited specs, with a mid mounted caterpillar engine in it. itd be insanely heavy and loud, but it would drive through buildings :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic HD2500 with the diesel in it, and I traded the truck in on the Jeep. That motor was awesome and had as much torque as you could possibly want, I don't see why they wouldn't put something like that in newer Jeep models.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts