Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been looking for a Grand Cherokee online thru craigslist etc, and almost every description on a 4.0 its referred to as a "V6" :banghead: including freak'n dealers ... Does it look like a freak'n "V" ???? I'm sure that most people that call it a "V6" have no idea what the hell the "V" even means ! ...... ok just bit**in,,,,, thanks for listening !

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
People who don't know call all six cylinder engines v6 . It's not their fault don't Blame them , unless they're a dealership which is unforgiveable

·
Registered
308 Posts
The best is when they call a 4 cylinder a V4. I think the last V4 was in an Opal from the early 70s?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Ignorance is bliss right? :D

One I don't get is "Rims"....they are wheels. Look it up in the dictionary. :doh: You ain't cool by saying rims home slice. Actually sounds like an uneducated statement to me.
I might be one of the ignorant ones:banghead:...I always thought that tire was the rubber, rim is what the rubber sits on and wheel is a combination of the tire mounted on the rim.:bottom:

·
That WF guy.
21,557 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
:confused: Wait???

Those prove my statement. :rofl:

Also, "ignorant" does not mean one is stupid. I was calling nobody stupid. Ignorance is simply the state of not knowing or not being knoledgable. ;)

:wavey:
Wait...I want to reinforce your point...sorry for the confusion.:wavey:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Just a quick question while we're venting. Has anyone else's wife or girlfriend called their Jeep a piece of sh** or ugly? My girlfriend always says that and laughs at my Jeep, and I was like ya know, you can talk as much as you want, but it really does hurt when you say those things because I've put so much money and time into it to make the interior decent for you. I even spend $500 on the sound system alone so far just so you can listen to your music. Never mind the rocker panels, weather stripping, new windshield, new hinges, bed liner, cleaning, etc. And you have the nerve to call it a piece? She said she was only joking but i don't know. Still hurts the soul, ya know?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just a quick question while we're venting. Has anyone else's wife or girlfriend called their Jeep a piece of sh** or ugly? My girlfriend always says that and laughs at my Jeep, and I was like ya know, you can talk as much as you want, but it really does hurt when you say those things because I've put so much money and time into it to make the interior decent for you. I even spend $500 on the sound system alone so far just so you can listen to your music. Never mind the rocker panels, weather stripping, new windshield, new hinges, bed liner, cleaning, etc. And you have the nerve to call it a piece? She said she was only joking but i don't know. Still hurts the soul, ya know?
My wife, and my daughter, both love the YJ. In fact, they helped pick it out. They also loved my CJ5. First time since I met my wife that she admitted to loving my vehicles.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ignorance is bliss right? :D

One I don't get is "Rims"....they are wheels. Look it up in the dictionary. :doh: You ain't cool by saying rims home slice. Actually sounds like an uneducated statement to me.
A lot of people call them mags too. A true mag is a magnesium wheel. I havent actually seen a true magnesium wheel in a long time.

People call the complete rear end an axle as well. An axle is the only part of it.

How about calling an engine a motor. A true motor is electric, the powerplant in your Jeep is actually an engine.

Anyway, they go on and on.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Even worse a Geo Tracker or Suzuki Samurai! I had an Ex that said her dad used to have a "Jeep".... found out he had a Geo Tracker :banghead:
Try owning a Triumph TR8. Constantly getting called an MG. When you go to the parts store and tell them you need a part for a Triumph, they ask you "who makes that?" The only response I can think of is "The British". They they ask, well who is the manufacturer, and it goes back and forth until I ask them if they would like me to look up the part for them. Now with the internet, I go to parts stores with a part number in hand so I dont have to deal with the idiocy.

·
Registered
790 Posts
A lot of people call them mags too. A true mag is a magnesium wheel. I havent actually seen a true magnesium wheel in a long time.

People call the complete rear end an axle as well. An axle is the only part of it.

How about calling an engine a motor. A true motor is electric, the powerplant in your Jeep is actually an engine.

Anyway, they go on and on.
Actually, there's a lot of ambiguity with the terms motor and engine...in most cases, they are interchangeable:

Motor - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Engine - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Even in engineering circles, I've seen just about every 'accepted' definition for each break down when used in practice.

Its perfectly acceptable to call the engine in your car/truck/Jeep a motor. After all, it is General MOTORS, Ford MOTOR company, Willys-Overland MOTORs, MOTORcycle, MOTORboat...I could go on...but you get the point. Not to mention it fits both the dictionary and engineering definition of a motor.

Now you don't generally hear anyone referring to an electric motor as an engine...no one replaces the power window engine :rofl:

Oh, as for annoying classifieds:

-Its spelled Camaro...not Camero.
-Personal beef: In the 1960's and early 70's, the 'S' in Cutlass S did NOT stand for Supreme. The Supreme was a different trim level. I have a true Supreme in case you couldn't figure that out ;)
-Pontiac didn't make 'big blocks'. All of their blocks were the same physical size...from 326 up to 455.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts