Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to look.into getting an 8. But what do I need to know. Is there a certai. Engine I want? That I should take above all.others if I could find it?

What all is.compatible?

Im a hobby mechanic, but I could never install an entire engine I think.. or could I? Lol

What would I reasonably expect to pay for the conversion and an install?

Thanks guys <3

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Year of Wrangler? JK, TJ, YJ?

I know alot of states have emission laws witch include when doing a engine swap that the engine going into the vehlicle must be of the same year or newer

·
Registered
553 Posts
I want to look.into getting an 8. But what do I need to know. Is there a certai. Engine I want? That I should take above all.others if I could find it?

What all is.compatible?

Im a hobby mechanic, but I could never install an entire engine I think.. or could I? Lol

What would I reasonably expect to pay for the conversion and an install?

Thanks guys <3
I started a thread about V-8's because I DO have one. BUT I bought it that way. However there are some good points about different V8's plus some pics of the conversions. Hope it helps.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/v-8-swaps-whos-got-em-and-lets-see-em-88819.html

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your choice of caps is.confusing and makes me feel like I did something wrong.. lol

And I can't check the link on my phone. Thanks though, I will look later<3

·
Registered
553 Posts
Your choice of caps is.confusing and makes me feel like I did something wrong.. lol

And I can't check the link on my phone. Thanks though, I will look later<3
lol:doh: Sorry, wasn't meaning to. I was trying to express that I have a V8 in mine, but emphisise that I bought it like that, so I am not sure about what is better, and how hard they are to install. And the one guy is right, some D.E.Q. laws make it hard to do the mod, however I live outside of a D.E.Q. zone. :punk:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I feel the need for a v8 every time im approaching a hill! I had a chance to buy a 93 yj a few years ago for 5k. It had a Chevy 350 in it. I passed on the yj and got a 73 CJ with a 304. I passed on the yj because it was an auto tranny, and it had suspension issues.

·
Registered
189 Posts
im with hemi yj i feel the need for a v8. if i could i would have a blown 460 in my yj its just not in the budget. i have a 258 and it does great but you can never have too much power.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 94 yj with the 6 now. And how could I Not consider more power! Lol.

I know you weren't trying to be rude, lol. It was just confusing caps placement lol.

Really though, she's approaching 200k, and although I take good care of her and can proba ky get another 100k out of her, at some point I want to give her an engine that illicts drools of envy.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Before or after the regulator? Lol

My xj has the same engine. I think it was 30ish from pump and nearly 80 after regulator I think? It's been years though :-/ lol

·
Registered
317 Posts
If those are the right numbers it would be the reversed. 80psi at the pump and 30psi at regulator. Most V8's run at 45psi and some like the Hemi run 60psi. I'm talking fuel injection. I know you can run a Hemi on a 45psi system but the higher you get in the rpms the more you starve the engine. Not sure about 30psi though. Still may work fine for everyday driving. Not sure if a Jeep regulator can be removed to run a bigger one or not. If you are looking at running a carb you can just throw an aftermarket regulator on in the engine bay. Carbs only run a couple pounds of pressure. Low single digits.

·
Registered
317 Posts
When I dropped a Hemi in my 4.7L Dakota, it runs at 45psi. I had bought an '06 Hemi Ram to source parts from. I did a few minor mods to shorten the height of the Ram fuel pump any swayed it in. It plugged right into the existing fuel line. When I got the engine in where the existing line plugged into the fuel rail it too plugged right into the Hemi fuel rail. Maybe you'll get that lucky.
My Jeep was a different story. It was carbed originally. So the list was bigger to convert to fuel injection. I put in a fuel cell, remote mounted fuel pump, regulator, new rails, pre-pump filter, pre-rail filter, -8 fuel and return lines and AN fittings. It's more like something you'd find on a Trophy truck. You could do it more cheaply though. I got a bit carried away. But its cool.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts