Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a Good jeeping friend with the same make year model (95 yj 4cyl) and he took on what i consider a smaller project and changed the fuel injectors to those out of a FORD 4.6L v-8 on his 4cyl, fit perfect and the jeep runs great!! in addition to the to make it run appropriately he swapped his stock throttle body to that of a 6cyl jeep's throttle body. I want to do this myself as he pulls away from me going up the hills now. Any recommendations or better ideas? Anyone tried any of this? Thanks!! :Thanx:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Interesting... I never would have thought to do that. Kinda cool though!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi there that sounds like a great idea. I recently purchased a 95 4cyl and will swap the throttle body in the near future. I was told that you need one from a 4.0 91 or newer. I am new to the wranglers so if im wrong anyone please correct me.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Swapping in Ford injectors has long been a quick trick to gain a little extra HP. Thank God when AMC designed the Wrangler they used so many parts and designs from the other major auto makers that many Ford, GM, and Chrysler parts fit on them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Would that effect emissions in California?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Will this work in a 97 TJ? My dad has one and he's all the time wishing he had more. HP. :p

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Would that effect emissions in California?
No. Your computer automatically adjusts the system parameters from what it sniffs with the O2 sensor as well as the air temperature. The reason the Ford 19lb injectors work better is because they spray a very fine mist pattern that burns up better. The stock Jeep injectors spray more of a stream.

Will this work in a 97 TJ? My dad has one and he's all the time wishing he had more. HP. :p
It might since there's not a whole lot that changed between the 2 years, other than OBDI and OBDII.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wouldn't you have to take in consideration the affects on the exhaust system? A V8 injector is 100% going to throw more fuel
In the system and from past experience if
You have extra fuel that's not burning off your exhaust manifold turns CHERRY red and in doing so weakens the manifold...correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No. Your computer automatically adjusts the system parameters from what it sniffs with the O2 sensor as well as the air temperature. The reason the Ford 19lb injectors work better is because they spray a very fine mist pattern that burns up better. The stock Jeep injectors spray more of a stream.
Smalls has a good point and my main question i guess would have been do they have the same pressure rating, and do you need to worry about the ohms for each injector? I was told they ran the same psi but its exactly like you said where the ford has a mist pattern instead of our jeeps which even with the 4cyl have 4 nozzles and still stream into the cylinder instead of misting letting the fuel atomize. do i need to worry about the ohms that the ford has going to their injector over ours? I have been looking through the repair manuals at my local Orielly's library and cant find any in depth specs to tell me the answer. Thanks for the Anwers sounds like this hasnt really been discussed to much!! :punk:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Basically is see this be a GREAT short term improvement but what is the overall long term affects? I know 100% throwing more fuel in the system(engine) IS NOT the most productive things todo if your system isn't regulated and equipped to handle it. Will you get greater horse power and more get up and go YES but at what cost?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Well if the little 2.5 blows up you could use that as an excuse to buy a 4.0 jeep then tranfer all your goodies to that...

Or do a V8 or diesel swap.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That's my plan. Run the little guy til he don't wanna go then figure it out from there.

Still going to maintain him.
Just not to worried if he bites the dust.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's my plan. Run the little guy til he don't wanna go then figure it out from there.

Still going to maintain him.
Just not to worried if he bites the dust.

Haha amen, so maybe in the next week or so ill hit up the local junk yards here in az and get the injectors off an expedition or something along those lines, i have the throttle body already and ill start a new thread showing how i did it and how well it works. Maybe ill get video along the way!!! :dance:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The Ford 19LB injectors throw in as much fuel as your computer tells them to, plain as that. Otherwise you would never pass emissions in an emissions state.

Injectors are not like jets on a Carburetor, they are precisely controlled by impulses from the computer, so if the O2 sensor sniffs out too little fuel in the air, then it will tell the computer to richen up the mixture and visa versa.

By the way, the Ford V8 the injectors come off of have one injector per cylinder. If you divide a 5.0L engine into 8 parts (8 parts because 8 cylinders), each cylinder is 0.625L in size. If you divide the 2.5L engine into 4 parts (4 parts because 4 cylinders) then you come up with the exact same 0.625L per cylinder. So while you may think that the engine is bigger, they really aren't, not cylinder wise. So even if somehow the injectors were setup so that they injected fuel at a linear rate, they would still inject the same amount of fuel as stock 2.5L injectors.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Ford 19LB injectors throw in as much fuel as your computer tells them to, plain as that. Otherwise you would never pass emissions in an emissions state.

Injectors are not like jets on a Carburetor, they are precisely controlled by impulses from the computer, so if the O2 sensor sniffs out too little fuel in the air, then it will tell the computer to richen up the mixture and visa versa.

By the way, the Ford V8 the injectors come off of have one injector per cylinder. If you divide a 5.0L engine into 8 parts (8 parts because 8 cylinders), each cylinder is 0.625L in size. If you divide the 2.5L engine into 4 parts (4 parts because 4 cylinders) then you come up with the exact same 0.625L per cylinder. So while you may think that the engine is bigger, they really aren't, not cylinder wise. So even if somehow the injectors were setup so that they injected fuel at a linear rate, they would still inject the same amount of fuel as stock 2.5L injectors.

Wow!! Didnt even think about it like that!!! Thanks!!! Makes great sense!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So Xpress you saying the fuel rate remains the same even if it is capable of throwing out mroe fuel, the only true upgrade to the process would be the change is injection patterns allowing it to atomize. correct me if im wrong, dont wanna do it for nothing!! thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
According to what Xpress has stated basically your trading a stream injector for a mist injector.

The more atomized fuel is the "better" it burns therefore you gain HP because your not wasting any fuel.

Same amount of fuel, just in a better pattern for better burn.

:thumb:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts