Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

V8 Install on a TJ?

15K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  TOKKIE 
#1 ·
Is this possible? I understand that if it is, it's going to be expensive (which I am cool with)...I'm mainly looking for someone who knows of or has done a V8 conversion...I would also like to keep my air conditioning in working order (I live in Palm Springs--it's 120 degrees here in summer)

if anyone knows of what kind of engine could fit, or if it's possible could ya help me out? I don't mind doing a Chevy Conversion, but I also wouldn't mind keepin it Mopar

#2 ·
#5 ·
Look into your smog laws, it would suck to get all that money and work done just to find out you can't legally drive it.

#7 ·
In California, it might even be stricter than that Andy. I think it has to do with the VIN and the Original Equipment that was on the vehicle. Like a Heep that originally had a 6 cylinder would never pass emissions with a V8.

So just be sure to do all your checking before you make a huge leap.

#14 ·
I just got my hands on an ls2 for my Tj and is currently in Houston having it put in. The only problem I have run into is the tranny bell housing adapter.I have a T56 out of my friends viper and I just had it rebuilt. I just got the tranny to Houston and hopefully it will be done soon. The guys at the shop said the long tube headers will fit fine.:flipoff:

#16 ·
Ya, the viper was a buddies and he had a spare tranny he blew up and he gave it to me. But as for a tranny out of an ls1 it would have been the same price as far as the rebuild.

#18 ·
Hey guys, just one additional question related to the original posters question. When converting a '91 Wrangler 4 cyl to a V8 or V6, how is the existing "brain" affected? I mean would you just negate it and rig the new motor like you would a typically carberated rig? From a mechanical aspect, the conversion would be no problem for me. However, when you get into those wires that bite back, I'm a little lost. Does anyone have any info addressing the electronics for doing a conversion?
Thanks guys,

#20 ·
Valley Wrangler, how are the using the t56? A jeep is to short to do a divorced transfer case, and I have seen one cnc machined tailshaft housing so it will bolt directly to the transfer case, but could not find a tail shaft housing comercially. I only ask because this jeep bug has bitten me real bad and I have a 99 camaro with a t56 and dream about this conversion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.