Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 89 yj that had an electrically carbed 4.2L. i have a 84 chevy 350 carbed. how do i wire the starter, alternater and hei distributer? i dont want to get a wiring adapter. i want to hard wire it n not sure what wires to use to hook these up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The HEI distributor only needs a constant 12v keyed source. The starter will retain the exact same wires, as in the heavy gauge hot lead and the small solenoid wire. The alternator depends on which model you have. A 1 wire setup is the easiest to wire, but not a direct parts store replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx man. I have an altinator that uses a 2 wire plug thats the same as the jeep and a one wire hook up on the back of it. How do i find the start wire and do i need a heavy gauge wire for the dist?

·
Registered
29 Posts
wiring

you can reuse all existing wires bud. i just did a 318 swap into mine and used the stock alternator, so those wires are the same. the main pos lead of the battery goes to the bigger post on the starter and the smaller one goes to the smaller post of the starter. all stock wires still. then the only thing you need to figure out is which of the crapload of switched powers under the hood you want to run to the HEI cap for power. that easy and quick. if you need more help let me know i can send you pics, basically running same system. heres a pic.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts