Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read up on the laws of width requirements, and I plan on getting some front MCE 4.5" fenders... but what exactly are the laws on turn signals in virginia? Are the little 1inch led amber signals enough? Has anyone had experience with it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
According to a local to me deputy there is no size requirement they just have to be visible (both front and side) and they cant be white. I believe they have to be orange, red is for back orange is side/clearance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm, someone from F'burg, Spotsy here.

The lens can be clear w/ a amber bulb or a amber lens and a clear bulb.

The lights are required to have a DOT stamp on them, hence there is a size requirement according to DOT.

Those are the official words from the VA State Police Inspection Book.

That doesn't mean you can't put on a Mickey Mouse light and get some fly by night inspector to pass it. BUT if you get in an accident and it is determined that you were running illegal lights and they were not visable by the other driver........the inspector looses his license, the shop will get sued and you my friend are liable for the accident. Hope you have good insurance :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
My buddy did the metal cloak fenders and it failed inspection in Williamsburg va with the little orange LEDs not because of the size but it needs one on the side of the vehicle. He wired in a little orange turn signal lamp inside of the fender

1 - 5 of 5 Posts