Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 19 days to go until I pack the family into the jeep for our yearly trip to OBX. The only thing I am worried about is taking the Jeep down. I've only had it for 20 days or so. I've never taken a fun vehicle anywhere, it's always a boring car.

I am not worried @ mpg, and it is very much a stock 08. But I have not had it long, and was wondering if it was a good idea to take it to a jeep shop ( Jeff Daniels ) close to my house and have them just change the oil, filter, and make sure it's ready for the 800 mile trip.

Am I worrying too much?

I already did the daystar hood wrangler to make sure my hood does not become an issue. I guess I am getting paranoid.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
After a decade in an independent shop I can say without doubt that there are brand new vehicles rolling off the line with issues. If you aren't sure about the vehicle, take it in and have them inspect the suspension, steering and brakes for safety reasons and give the engine and transmission a look. Do this NOW so any issues that come up can be resolved before the trip. Even if they don't find anything, it will be $50 well spent on peace of mind.

My DD rolled over 300k miles on a cross country trip. The whole way I didn't think about anything other than how bad it would suck if the plastic timing gears ate themselves during the trip. The week after I got home I put steel gears in and worry no more. That's the only time I've ever had to go inside the engine, but now that I'm getting real close to 400k I like that there is nothing inside the engine that's just going to randomly fail for no good reason.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point. Thanks for the suggestion. I feel kind of intimidated calling a jeep shop to take a stock jeep in, a JKU to boot, but they have to start somewhere I suppose.

·
Registered
595 Posts
After a decade in an independent shop I can say without doubt that there are brand new vehicles rolling off the line with issues. If you aren't sure about the vehicle, take it in and have them inspect the suspension, steering and brakes for safety reasons and give the engine and transmission a look. Do this NOW so any issues that come up can be resolved before the trip. Even if they don't find anything, it will be $50 well spent on peace of mind.

My DD rolled over 300k miles on a cross country trip. The whole way I didn't think about anything other than how bad it would suck if the plastic timing gears ate themselves during the trip. The week after I got home I put steel gears in and worry no more. That's the only time I've ever had to go inside the engine, but now that I'm getting real close to 400k I like that there is nothing inside the engine that's just going to randomly fail for no good reason.
300K ?? == 300,000 miles, is that correct?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I took my own new-to-me JK on a 1000 mile trip about 2 months after purchase.....it had 15K on it but still was 'new" to me. And yes, get the oil etc service done early, it's wonderful peace of mind.

And just try to keep that silly grin off your face when driving....

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Thats a lot of miles for " cross country trip"
Not in a vehicle that I've had for 16 years, is maintained religiously, and that I have complete faith in. It made the 9 hour drive each way with no issues and I would do it again today without thinking twice.

·
Registered
595 Posts
oilwell1415 said:
Not in a vehicle that I've had for 16 years, is maintained religiously, and that I have complete faith in. It made the 9 hour drive each way with no issues and I would do it again today without thinking twice.
Ahhhh not one continuous trip.... Yep that is a faithful rig!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have 19 days to go until I pack the family into the jeep for our yearly trip to OBX. The only thing I am worried about is taking the Jeep down. I've only had it for 20 days or so. I've never taken a fun vehicle anywhere, it's always a boring car.

We'll just miss you! We're taking our 2 month old 2011 JKU down to Hatteras on Thursday through Aug. 14. We took her down in June when she was a week old, but we didn't get full enjoyment like we will this trip. Since June, we've had a brake controller and wiring installed so we can tow our camper with her, and we had her underbelly coated to protect from salt/sand when we take her on the beach (she stayed at base camp in June). We took the hard top off today and are installing a new (craisglist) soft top tomorrow. This trip: Jeep tows camper. Jeep goes topless. Jeep goes doorless. Jeep goes wheelin'. Mom and Dad go :D!

By all means (for peace of mind if nothing else), get your baby checked out and ready to enjoy! Have a great time!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
repauli1 said:
Ahhhh not one continuous trip.... Yep that is a faithful rig!
It was 9 hours all at once. Back then I didn't even have to stop for gas on that trip. The last year or two the mileage has dropped off a little bit and I can probably only run about 7.5-8 hours comfortably on a tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts