Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vacuum leak, which I found, but I have no idea where its supposed to be connected. I my jeep is an 89, with the 4.2L carbureted. when standing in front of the jeep, on the far rear right side on the intake, there is a "module" that is not connected to anything. The truck idles real rough, until I stick my finger on it, and then it idles just a hair high (the carb was supposedly rebuilt so it may just be out of adjustment) but it idles smoothly at that point. I have looked through my Haynes, and don't even see a picture of this to identify it. Like I mentioned, its at the far rear of the intake and it looks like it screws in, and something is supposed to plug into it..? Any thoughts / ideas as to what it is, and how to plug it into what ever its supposed to be connected to?

Thanks in advance!
George

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Just put a cap on till you find out. Sorry I can't help more all that stuff is pulled off of my 90 YJ, it's had the Nutter By-pass.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Can you post a pic? or at least describe the module in mote detail?
Number of vacuum fittings? Any wires? Color? Plastic? metal? Nearby component you recognize?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pictures

Can you post a pic? or at least describe the module in mote detail?
Number of vacuum fittings? Any wires? Color? Plastic? metal? Nearby component you recognize?
I will see about getting a pic of this tomorrow. I have a screw in it right now to stop the leak into the manifold. I think there is a thin plastic hose that goes into the firewall right near it, that seems disconnected. but it seems as though something would be missing if I were to try to connect the two parts. I think I saw the two connected in a video that I happen to see earlier today. Will grab a pic tomorrow for sure though.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will see about getting a pic of this tomorrow. I have a screw in it right now to stop the leak into the manifold. I think there is a thin plastic hose that goes into the firewall right near it, that seems disconnected. but it seems as though something would be missing if I were to try to connect the two parts. I think I saw the two connected in a video that I happen to see earlier today. Will grab a pic tomorrow for sure though.

Thanks!
Here is the pic I took today.. Sorry so late... work got I the way of life...

PicPaste - vacuum-fo2nE6k5.JPG

if you can see it, it has a screw stuck in it now, but its like an orange rubber boot that the screw is stuck into.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Plastic line

Thanks!
The Plastic line is what connects to the fitting. nothing is missing except maybe the rubber adapter that allows the plastic line to connect to it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what is it?

The Plastic line is what connects to the fitting. nothing is missing except maybe the rubber adapter that allows the plastic line to connect to it
So what is that thing, and where do I get that rubber adapter to make it fit?

/shrug

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The line connects from there into the firewall. Someone mentioned to me it was for the heater. You probably would have to find the specific part off of a YJ in a salvage yard.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Yes, that plastic line goes through the firewall to the heater controls. It is used for opening and closing the air intake door up in the cowl plenum. When ypu shut the heat and vent OFF it closes that door. When you select any other positon it opens that door to let air flow to/through the system.

On 91+ there is a tee there that supplys vacuum to the 4wd axle disconnect. On yours, you can just connect that firewall line there. No big deal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts