Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not very mechanical! Can someone show where the vacuum hose I should use to add sea foam is?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
It might be better to explain why you want to do that in the 1st place.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
The vacuum hose you'd use is the the larger diameter rubber hose that connects between the intake manifold and the power brake booster. You'd unplug it from the brake booster and after starting the engine, spraying the contents of the can into that vacuum hose connected to the intake manifold.

But as AZ01TJ was wary of, why do you think you want to add Sea Foam? In my personal opinion, Sea Foam is little more than a very expensive form of snake oil. It claims to do a lot of jobs but is not all that good at any of them.

Not to mention that all modern gasolines produces in the U.S. have been required since something like 1986 to contain sufficient cleaners to keep the fuel system clean.

I personally wouldn't waste my time or $$$$ on Sea Foam. And in 21 years of TJ ownership, I've never needed it to keep my engines clean and running well. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
JB is right as usual. Don't buy any of that crap to add to your fuel or supposedly clean valves, injectors or whatever. Use Top Tier gas (look it up on the net for a list of suppliers) and everything will stay fine with your fuel system. It doesn't cost any more than Speedway garbage. If it hasn't seen Top Tier gas before a few tanks will get things in order. Shell, BP and Valero are some of the approved fuels.

·
Registered
92 Posts
But as AZ01TJ was wary of, why do you think you want to add Sea Foam? In my personal opinion, Sea Foam is little more than a very expensive form of snake oil. It claims to do a lot of jobs but is not all that good at any of them.
:)
I would have to respectfully disagree with this statement. When buying a used, high mileage vehicle, you never know what kind of gas they were running or how they took care of it. I have bought several vehicles from auctions and always do the Sea Foam treatment, then run good gas from then on out. I once bought an old survey truck with 173k mi on it from my old company so I knew the maintenance records were up to date. It ran rough and sounded like it was missing so I did the sea foam treatment and it immediately smoothed right out. Ran that truck in my hot shot service and never missed a beat. Had an overhaul done at 500kmi. Mechanic complemented me on how clean the valves and fuel system was.

It probably would have cleaned itself using good gas that whole time but for an initial repair it did the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts