Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I've owned/driven Jeeps since I was 16 (Liberty, Patriot, Compass) but have always dreamed of having a Wrangler. This year, I made that dream into a reality when I bought my 1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ.

Found it on Facebook Marketplace, flew out to San Diego, and drove it back to Phoenix. The previous owner put a lot of love and care into it, but after bringing it home, I've come to learn there were a few things he may have overlooked...

I also need to admit—I am not a car guy. Part of why I wanted to get an older Wrangler was to learn more about cars/trucks/Jeeps in general. So please, go easy on me.

My next-door neighbor (who buys and rebuilds old Land Cruisers) took a look at the engine and said everything looked great, aside from the vacuum system. We put in a new fuel filter and he rewired some of the vacuum lines, but now the Jeep bucks pretty hard after a few miles. Sounds like it could be an issue with the vacuum booster (what is that?)... Everything else has been great, though...

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions on what to do? I've seen some folks say they've gotten rid of the vacuum system altogether... is that even possible?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome to the forum.
first-make sure the vacuum hoses are routed properly. (find yer make and model in the attached link)
it must have ran OK before it was "fixed" since it made it to Phoenix.
Wow. Thanks for the link. I'll take a look!

And you're right, it was definitely running okay, but definitely not as well as I think it could have been. I'll dig through these manuals. Thanks again for the share. This is awesome!

·
Registered
1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L
414 Posts
Submitting pics of your engine bay always helps too. A lot of folks on here can spot things that may not be hooked up correctly just from seeing your set up. A lot of these YJs have been modified through the years too so what's in the bay may vary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Submitting pics of your engine bay always helps too. A lot of folks on here can spot things that may not be hooked up correctly just from seeing your set up. A lot of these YJs have been modified through the years too so what's in the bay may vary.
Good call. Some pictures attached. Again, I'm not a car guy, so please let me know if there are any other photos or angles I should be taking.

The issue my neighbor was having was that he just couldn't figure out where all the hoses were supposed to go. A shop I took it to said the same thing—that they'd basically have to take everything out, put it back together correctly, and then they'd be able to see if there were any other issues...

Anyway, let me know what you think.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Car Automotive exterior Vehicle
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive exterior Electrical wiring
Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts