Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier on an oil leak on a 2000 4.0 Sport manual I recently purchased. I received a lot of great responses and had pretty much decided it was the rear main seal. Having a horrible time finding a repair shop as they all say the tranny has to be dropped to get it, even the dealership. The shop manual where they find the est. chargable hours must state the tranny has to be dropped. I can't seem to find a mechanic that says he'll just drop the oil pan.
Anyway, I went out to look at it again and I had different outside lighting on the engine compartment than I have had. I looked at the valve cover again and I noticed it was gunky below on the side of it, whereas I had been wiping the backside of the valve cover (side up against the firewall)r versus the far rear passenger side of it. I wiped and got some fresh oil. So now I'm thinking maybe it is just the valve cover gasket. My big question is: If it is the valve cov gasket, how is it possible the run-off from that leak could get behind the front cover plate of the bell housing? The bell housing drip is why I was almost 100% positive it was the rear main seal and that is the most active and main drip site of the leak. I guess I could have 2 problems instead of one, but is there ANY way a valve cover gasket leak could drain down the engine and somehow get "caught" so that it ended up dripping out from behind the cover plate of the bell housing??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rear main seal oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket are all common leak points on 4.0l. And no u don't need to drop the trans. It's a 2 piece seal just remove the last main bearing cap and push it out

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Having a horrible time finding a repair shop as they all say the tranny has to be dropped to get it, even the dealership. The shop manual where they find the est. chargable hours must state the tranny has to be dropped.
The Jeep service manual doesn't call for the transmission to be removed. Maybe you should ask the folks at the Jeep dealership if they have a copy!!!

See for yourself here:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm#service

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeez,
Now I found a oil at the front of the oil pan. So I am going to start at the top (cheapest and easiest) and change the valve cover gasket. I will be getting a Fel-pro. I know I should not use any RTV with this gasket. I looked at previous posts and one said torque the bolts at 44. Is this correct for a 4.0 with a new Fel-pro???

By the way, if I end up having to do oil pan seal and/or front and rear engine seals, does anyone know any good honest Jeep mechanics in the Kansas City area??

Thanks for all the great input!
Suzy

·
Registered
12 Posts
i replaced mine with a new felpro, 1 months later same leak is back. I used Permatex Right stuff and no gasket this time and it has been 6 months no leaks. ( let it sit overnight for right stuff to set up )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts