Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my JK. Build date 12/14/2012. Bought it new. Only 2000 miles. I've had it about three months. Recently noticed a dry valve noise at start-up when undriven for say...2-3 days. Won't do it hot. It's not really a valve tap or clatter, just a dull dry sound for a few seconds. Any good ideas? Should I forget about it or call the dealer? (I doubt they'll sleep in my garage for 2-3 days to hear it).

Thanks, y'all.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ive got a 2013 and it does the same thing. If it sits it does give a dry start noise when i first turn it over. Idk what to think of it really. Sometimes it pisses me off and other times im like ehh whatever lol

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Have this as well. My Jeep often sits for days between uses, so I kind of wince whenever I start it. Hearing "they all do it" isn't a lot of comfort, they could all just be wearing out fast. ;)

There are other threads about this, including some speculation of the valvetrain running dry because the high mounted oil filter setup doesn't keep any oil up there.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yeah they all do it. I switched to 0w20 and I think it may have decreased the duration just a bit. Probably just my imagination though. I run 0w oil in most of my vehicles though anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same here, mine is a 10/11 build and does this for 2-3 seconds. The dealer keeps saying it is fine but who knows anymore. I'm just driving it til it breaks. I went to Mobil1 5W30 Synthetic and made no change.

·
Retired Moderator
100,462 Posts
Drain your oil when hot. Try a quality Synthetic oil. Use the viscosity that your manual recommends.
This is what I am using in my 2013 Wrangler and I do not have any noise at start up.
If you try this and you still have lifter noise at start up, then I would take in back to the Dealer for repairs...........:thumb:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hello Chrysler! Mine too. 2013 JK sounds like no oil on startup after sitting for a few days. I wonder if the 5W oil is too thin and draining off. I also wonder what this does as far as engine wear when lubrication is most needed? It takes a couple of seconds for the oil to circulate and then it quiets down. I shouldn't have to use a synthetic and dealer recommended against it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mine has never done it. Not even once. But I have heard it during a test drive. One of the Jeeps I test drove rattled like hell for a couple of seconds at start up. And it was loud enough that I would not be comfortable with it if it were mine.

·
Retired Moderator
100,462 Posts
I road tested several, before purchasing mine. Some make then start up lifter noise and some don't. Why, I don't have a clue? If mine did it then it would be headed back to the Dealer!

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
My 08 does the same thing. If it sits for 5-7 days when I start I get a clatter for 1-2 seconds. Tried different oil filters (Mopar, Napa Gold, etc.) as some have suggested and it still happens. I figure it is just normal for these engines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts