Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long post, so bear with me. Was driving home about three weeks ago, and my motor began losing power at a progressively worse rate until it died out all together (Thank God for a towbar). So I started with the original fuel filter (the vehicle has 205k on it). I found some debris, but not bad. I then decided to drop the tank, and give it a through cleaning. Once again, minor debris. I refilled the tank, and added some injector cleaner to be safe.

It ran fine for about two days, and then we went wheeling (nothing major, just some minor rock trails in mostly 4H). When we got back on the road, we started having the same issue. We limped it to our local grocery store, and went it to get groceries. Came back out, it wouldn't start. Had a friend take me home to get my truck to tow it back to the house. When I got back to the Jeep about an hour later, I tried starting it, and it fired right up. I towed it home, and then remembered I had a similar problem with my previous 95 that turned out to be a bad Cat. I replaced the Cat which didn't seem that bad, and I am still having the same issue with it hits 215-220. Could it be vapor locking? I know the 4.0s have that issue. Was just curious. Not sure where to go next.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Long post, so bear with me. Was driving home about three weeks ago, and my motor began losing power at a progressively worse rate until it died out all together (Thank God for a towbar). So I started with the original fuel filter (the vehicle has 205k on it). I found some debris, but not bad. I then decided to drop the tank, and give it a through cleaning. Once again, minor debris. I refilled the tank, and added some injector cleaner to be safe.

It ran fine for about two days, and then we went wheeling (nothing major, just some minor rock trails in mostly 4H). When we got back on the road, we started having the same issue. We limped it to our local grocery store, and went it to get groceries. Came back out, it wouldn't start. Had a friend take me home to get my truck to tow it back to the house. When I got back to the Jeep about an hour later, I tried starting it, and it fired right up. I towed it home, and then remembered I had a similar problem with my previous 95 that turned out to be a bad Cat. I replaced the Cat which didn't seem that bad, and I am still having the same issue with it hits 215-220. Could it be vapor locking? I know the 4.0s have that issue. Was just curious. Not sure where to go next.
Personally I would check fuel pressure at the rail for a delta, then again when it rears its ugly head. It may not have anything to do with the coolant temp, but rather a lazy fuel pump under certain conditions.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It shouldn't vapor lock... It has a fuel return line to keep cooler fuel flowing at all times unless maybe the fuel pressure regulator isn't working properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts