Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all my years owning my wrangler this has not happened. It just snowed and it's pretty cold out started up the jeep she fired up nicely let it run for about 5 minutes then headed off to work. About ten minutes into my commute I was at a stop light and noticed an almost smoke like vapor coming from the rad. I glanced at the temp gauge and I was running at operating temperature. I then pulled to the side of the road stuck my head in there and check the coolant to see if I was low but it's perfect. No odd smell just normal. What could this be? Water vapor or something ive never seen this before.( btw I was kinda speeding to work but nothing excessive many the engine warmed to quickly causing it to smoke a bit? Any input would be appreciated thanks. Jared-

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Mine does that after I hose it down at the self wash. It's just steam from water on the hot engine.

Never had it happen in the snow yet, but we've had a pretty wimpy snow season this year. Only a couple days all winter I've driven with snow on the roads, that I can remember.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok yeah it is pretty wet and snowy and I forgot to mention I ripped off my air dam a few days ago and now the underside is exposed.. it's probably just kicking up snow under their on the hot engine like you said causing it. I guess that thing served a minor purpose?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Ok yeah it is pretty wet and snowy and I forgot to mention I ripped off my air dam a few days ago and now the underside is exposed.. it's probably just kicking up snow under their on the hot engine like you said causing it. I guess that thing served a minor purpose?
Ahh, good info. Yup, the air dam being gone will let snow and slush get kicked up in there...although the engine bay is considered a "wet environment", anyway.

Since the steam didn't smell like anything (burned rubber, etc) I wouldn't be too concerned.

Now if it happens on a dry day...:D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that makes me feel much better. I never seen that before other than yeah cleaning the engine but then the removal of the air dam occurred to me. And yeah the smell is just dusty water vapor smell haha nothing burning other than gas in my combustion chamber! Cheers everyone have a great rest of the day! Jared-

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
Funny this thread came up. I noticed the vapor whenever it is cold out and raining. Had my wife with me today and it is cold and raining. Pulled into sonic and the vapor is pouring out. Enough so that a fog bank was forming and my wife is freaking out thinking the jeep was on fire. Never had this on any other vehicle.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chucky cheese said:
Funny this thread came up. I noticed the vapor whenever it is cold out and raining. Had my wife with me today and it is cold and raining. Pulled into sonic and the vapor is pouring out. Enough so that a fog bank was forming and my wife is freaking out thinking the jeep was on fire. Never had this on any other vehicle.
Hahah yeah that's what happens its weird to see I did not think it would steam up so much but every so often it gets goin!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts