Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Not sure where to get them locally, but do they work well? How well do they stay put? I need a way to "extend" my breather tubes and this might be a very good option.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure where to get them locally, but do they work well? How well do they stay put? I need a way to "extend" my breather tubes and this might be a very good option.
I assume they work decent because there are companies that sell them specifically for that reason. Also, I believe they are required in race vehicles to prevent leaking during a rollover. I believe you put them on the nipple but also hose clamp them

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would do it. Ballon, a rubber band and some tape and it should be good.
It may be happening ;) I think the only disadvantage to the balloon would be that it would eventually dry out and get brittle. At least with the kind of heat I have to deal with out here :firedevil:

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
It may be happening ;) I think the only disadvantage to the balloon would be that it would eventually dry out and get brittle. At least with the kind of heat I have to deal with out here :firedevil:
You think the oil in the air would keep the inside lubricated? Could always spray with silicone lube too. Even if you did replace once a year it wouldn't be bad. I just moved my 8.8 breather on top of the diff. This could be cool to replace the hose.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You think the oil in the air would keep the inside lubricated? Could always spray with silicone lube too. Even if you did replace once a year it wouldn't be bad. I just moved my 8.8 breather on top of the diff. This could be cool to replace the hose.
Touche, the oil may be enough to keep it moist. I might hit up a local motorcycle shop and see if they have anything like it. I found a couple places online that said they got theirs from a motorcycle shop...just was curious if anyone here had the same luck.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Now that I think about it, my uncle's can-am has those, never thought of trying it on my jeep. But anyway, try checking out a four wheeler/ATV shop in your area as well if the motorcycle shop doesn't have any.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
My experience would be to pass on that gizmo for a Jeep.

When I swapped in my Rubi D44 rear axle, I was at a local off-road store getting some parts. I saw those hanging on the wall. The guy said the Toyota guys use those alot, so I bought one because I thought they were pretty neat.

First good trip on the newly swapped in axle, I noticed gear fluid spots on my fender liner, and down the inside of my passenger rear tire.

I took the bellow breather off and went back to my stock breather tube. Not a drop of leakage since. That was almost 3 years ago.

Maybe it did not expand enough for the bigger D44 housing vs the skinny Toy axle, therefore pushing gear fluid past the seal???
Who knows. I look at it everyday hanging on a peg in my shop.:)

Here's a pic playing on a ramp at the Jamboree a few years ago. You can see the leakage on my tire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just bought these on https://liquidironindustries.com/home.php for 6.60 ea. They should slip right over your tube and you can pick up a friction band to keep it in place at your LHWS. I used the check out with amazon option and it dropped my shipping to less than 5 bucks!

I'm only going to put these on when mudding or river crossings and just keep the stock ones going for DD.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts