Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone through all the posts here and thanks to all that posted items regarding inconsistent temperatures (hot air) from the different vents. I noticed posts on blend doors maybe causing the problem or perhaps the anti-freeze was not at the proper level. I noticed on cold mornings it would take forever to warm the cabin and as I started investigating, I would find that some vents were cold and others were warm. Seemed like left side was colder than the right side. I had the coolant flushed by Jiffy Lube since they have the vacuum system - definitely made a big difference but did not seem hot. Fellow Jeep owners say that it would be difficult to keep your hand in front of the vent if it is blowing right. I decided to replace the heater core. There are some great videos on how to do this - cutting the frame behind the glove box. Cutting the tubes of the heater core and using 5/8 heater hose - which allows for replacement in the future. After replacing and getting topped off, all is working great. All vents are blowing hot under full heat and it is nice to have to blend in cool air. Thanks again for all that posted. My jeep is a 2011 wrangler unlimited with 120k - i think that was the first heater core replacement based upon the core I removed.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I remember having to decide in replacing the core in my old TJ, didnt take the plunge - kudos for taking on that task

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
How much is a new heater core? We had the same problem, but a heater core flush seemed to fix it...for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cost for JiffyLube flush and Heater Core

I was able to get a lifetime HC from Amazon (Matching RockAutopart #) for $52.00. The JL flush was $62 I think. It was cheaper than I thought. It was nice for they use a vacuum system to push through. I did go back for I was concerned that the Zerex fluid that was specific for Chrysler/Jeep anti-freeze was clear and the stuff that JL had put in was pink. The manager informed me that was ok, as long as the anti-freeze is specific for the vehicle. I was concerned about mixing types.

It took me about 3.5 to do the entire job - having a jobmax cutter is a must. No way would I try a sawzall to cut those pipes. Too easy to slide and damage something else. Cutting the frame behind the glove box was a piece of cake. I also took the passenger door off which took about 30 minutes since the previous owner must never have done so. My god I had to use my lift! It was pushing the car off the ground. The other difficult part was putting the 5/8 hose on the heater core pipes. I had to lubricate the tubes for it was very difficult to slide on.
If you do decide to try - look for the youtubes that show the "short cut" rather than taking the entire dashboard out. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The heater core was $53.00 on amazon -
Spectra Premium 99370 HVAC Heater Core , i also bought some heater hose so I could cut out the original and then put the new one in. Please note that the old core looked good when I pulled it out and I tried to see if there was a bunch of junk inside but even with hose running through I could not tell. I did not cut open to see, but it definitely made a huge difference.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Getting ready to do mine. Just found out i have a mechanical blend door so I know that is not the problem with my heat. I am going to do the cut the dash method. Just can't imagine trying to take the entire dash apart and then getting it back together, and everything working correctly. There are some videos on the internet of guys doing it this way and I think I would rather do an engine replacement than a heater core.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I read a lot about the blend door stuff. The key for me was feeling the pipes on the heater core. Both coming through the firewall were hot, so I figured it had to be the core. I could hear and see the blend door moving if I rotated the dial on the temperature. There is a video on that as well. Have to peek in the drivers foot-well. Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Following

1 - 10 of 10 Posts