Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Versahitch from quad, and I went to go install it and it seems like my muffler is definitely going to be in the way when trying to slip the bolts thru. Do I absolutely have to unhinge this thing to put the hitch on? Or has someone finagled their way around this?

Jeep Wrangler Sport 2015

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
If you maneuver the bolts up the right way, you should be able to get them in without doing anything to the muffler. As I remember, when installing my hitch, I kind of angled the bolts and slowly pushed and lowered them into place. It takes some patience and finagling, but can be done.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just installed a hitch to my son's 12 JK. The only thing I had to do is slightly bend/move the heat shield above the muffler. Took all of 5 minutes. Just make sure the holes are fully aligned.

Before I installed it I did some research and the advice given was to remove the muffler or the rear bumper. You definitely DO NOT have to do this.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I didn't install a versahitch, but a regular receiver hitch. I just pulled the rear bumper off which gives plenty of room to get the bolts through from the rear. The stock rear bumper comes off super easy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I ended up finding this sweet spot between my heat shield and muffler where I could back the bolt in and then thread it thru the hitch. Used some locktite and bolted 'er on there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Versahitch with AEV bumper

This week , REYbicon is in 'surgery' - The one thing I was worried about was the AEV rear bumper and the versahitch not being compatible. Guess it worked out just fine.

I installed the Versahitch myself and didn't have any issues at all. I also have the bike rack and love it.

My next hope , which everybody around me says in won't work, is to be able to tow our new teardrop trailer and carry the bikes, with the right extension rig. I can dream right??

The wires you see sticking out is a Mopar 7pin harness getting installed.

Cheers, and for those going out to MOAB - have fun, I'm jealous! I wish I could be there this year! *It's better that I wait a year*

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice! I'm looking into a new rear bumper too. I gotta find one that's versahitch compatible. I want something steel but lightweight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts