Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've saved up and just started buying some mods for my jk. I have a manual 2014 2dr Rubicon X and have been excited to finally get a lift, wheels/tires and get on some trails to do some wheeling! Now this is my everyday commuter vehicle as well which I plan to keep as long as I'm alive....I have the lifetime warranty. . Anyway, I call my insurance agent who is actually a broker. He's been a broker for 20 years. I asked him about endorsement to add to my policy to cover the thousands of dollars in mods im doing. During the discussion we spoke about going off road and I made a joke about hoping I never roll over or have an accident as I'd never want to file a claim and see my jk in the body shop. .

My agent/broker then told me that no insurance covers Off-Road damage of any sort. He said If I damage or even worse total my Jeep then I'm basically screwed. This obviously crapped me out completely as there is absolutely NO way in hell I'm doing any kind of serious Off-Roading where I can damage or total my jeep as I have a 6 year loan on it and I can't even Imagine how sick I'd feel if I totalled my JK, had no other vehicle to drive (as this is my only vehicle) and were responsible for more then 30k to pay on a totalled vehicle!

So I started thinking it really sucks that I'm not going to be able to enjoy my Jk the way I had hoped but I decided to do some Google searches and was happily surprised at some of the things I read. . Basically some people say certain insurance will cover off road accidents as long as youre not racing etc. Other people said that they got a rider or a blanket policy for $25-90 a year in addition to their regular policy which covers off road damage.

This definitely was really nice to read and makes me wonder how my broker whose been in the business over 20 years with his own insurance company can just make a statement to me about NO insurance covering any off road damage.

Anyway, I have mercury insurance with my Broker and maybe it's time for a change. . Can anyone offer some of the better insurance companies to go with who are known to cover an off road accident or where I can buy that additional blanket/rider policy? . Thanks very much in advance. This is a big concern for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had State Farm for 12 years. Never used their coverage for an off-road accident, but they are excellent in general and there are plenty of stories online about them covering off-road damage.

Ultimately, you should check the actual text of your policy to figure out exactly what is covered. You can ask your agent, but make sure he puts his answer in writing. But I think you'll find what you need with State Farm.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
This is an expensive hobby. You have to pay to play. If you are concerned about damage and have no experience driving off road then you might be well served by buying an old 4x4 and build up some off road skills. There are some decent older 4x4s that can be had for cheaper than Jeep. There is always the possibility of an accident, but similar to the road with some windshield time you get to know where things usually happen and when to push your luck or not. Like warranties, insurance policies don't cover high risk activity including driving off road.

This is specially a good idea if your JK is your DD.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So I've saved up and just started buying some mods for my jk. I have a manual 2014 2dr Rubicon X and have been excited to finally get a lift, wheels/tires and get on some trails to do some wheeling! Now this is my everyday commuter vehicle as well which I plan to keep as long as I'm alive....I have the lifetime warranty. . Anyway, I call my insurance agent who is actually a broker. He's been a broker for 20 years. I asked him about endorsement to add to my policy to cover the thousands of dollars in mods im doing. During the discussion we spoke about going off road and I made a joke about hoping I never roll over or have an accident as I'd never want to file a claim and see my jk in the body shop. .

My agent/broker then told me that no insurance covers Off-Road damage of any sort. He said If I damage or even worse total my Jeep then I'm basically screwed. This obviously crapped me out completely as there is absolutely NO way in hell I'm doing any kind of serious Off-Roading where I can damage or total my jeep as I have a 6 year loan on it and I can't even Imagine how sick I'd feel if I totalled my JK, had no other vehicle to drive (as this is my only vehicle) and were responsible for more then 30k to pay on a totalled vehicle!

So I started thinking it really sucks that I'm not going to be able to enjoy my Jk the way I had hoped but I decided to do some Google searches and was happily surprised at some of the things I read. . Basically some people say certain insurance will cover off road accidents as long as youre not racing etc. Other people said that they got a rider or a blanket policy for $25-90 a year in addition to their regular policy which covers off road damage.

This definitely was really nice to read and makes me wonder how my broker whose been in the business over 20 years with his own insurance company can just make a statement to me about NO insurance covering any off road damage.

Anyway, I have mercury insurance with my Broker and maybe it's time for a change. . Can anyone offer some of the better insurance companies to go with who are known to cover an off road accident or where I can buy that additional blanket/rider policy? . Thanks very much in advance. This is a big concern for me.
What State are you in? I was an auto ins. agent in Pa. for over 36 years & owned several Jeeps. Even rolled my 73 CJ5 down a steep hill in a gravel pit. The adjuster's 1st question was:"Were you racing?" I explained what happened-just a bunch of the boys out playing. All damage was covered minus my collision deductible. I knew the adjuster pretty well and when he asked me if I was racing, I replied, "Hell no! I was drunk." He found that amusing.
Ask your Agent/Broker to point out the exact exclusion in your policy stating that off road damage is not covered. It's been know to happen that agents will tell people things only to deter them from actually doing the particular deed.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@smittykid....im in California. . I think at this point I would rather find another agent/insurance company because I don't trust him anymore. I figured a guy that's been doing what he has over 20 years and who I've been with for 5 and have NEVER had a claim with would be telling me the truth. Now I'm researching this and finding people all over the place HAVE been covered with either their insurance policy or with some kind of "rider" or "blanket" policy they paid under $100 a year for. It was either State Farm, all state or progressive who covered the claims from what I've read. . So either way, whether my insurance covers it or not my agent could of told me about these rider policies and chose not to. . Can anyone offer suggestions on the top insurance companies to go with who dont specifically state off road driving excludes them from claims? . I'm assuming the three I mentioned are some of the best?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Check out amica insurance. I've dealt with some of the big 3 you've mentioned and they aren't as good as my amica. The only thing they won't insure are jet skis and they are really into their customer service

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you jkjeeper I will check them out. I assume you are with amica now and that your Wrangler Is covered under your normal insurance policy? . A co-worker of mine speaks very highly for State Farm. He has a local agent and in the last Ten years has totalled two cars that State Farm paid more then retail for. I was thinking of checking them out too.

And by chance does anyone have Ameriprise auto insurance through Costco? I've heard they are very good as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,117 Posts
Yes, your agent sounds like a tool.

I know a SoCal Jeeper who has been offroading all his life. One weekend a couple years ago, he was wheeling with friends, and the ground under his heavily modified 2008 JKUS caved in, rolling it 30 feet down a ravine. The Jeep was not even moving when it happened; it was totaled. But it was an accident.

The insurance paid for the Jeep and his mods. He is now the happy owner of a Commando 2013 JKUS.

So yes, sounds like your agent caters to Toyota owners scared to drive in the rain.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Ask your Agent/Broker to point out the exact exclusion in your policy stating that off road damage is not covered. It's been know to happen that agents will tell people things only to deter them from actually doing the particular deed.
Also look for exclusions like abuse. Racing (which is why they asked about that) and off-roading are typical examples of abuse.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@spinlock... I hear your point but you're sounding like my agent when you say insurance does NOT cover off road accidents. No disrespect as I see you have over 4 thousand posts here but what you are saying is simply inaccurate. I've searched high and low and found many Wrangler Owners who have had their insurance cover their Wrangler. In some cases they may need a rider policy and in some cases they were covered under their policy directly. . Did you read smittykids post at all? . He was an agent for more then 30 years and got his Wrangler covered WITHOUT a blanket policy. I'm not interested in looking at an older vehicle as I have no place to park a 2nd vehicle and the cost should anything go wrong with an older dedicated 4x4 vehicle is something I can't afford to deal with. But most importantly of all I don't want to live my life like that. I mean, seriously....that would be a real sad way to live life. Not just in regards to my JK...but in general. I bought a very expensive, extremely nice jk to ENJOY and that means using it as my daily driver AND off road. I have a lifetime warranty and plan on keeping it my entire life. Now I just need to find a quality insurance agent as well as get in WRITING my JK will be covered off-road, whether that means under a standard or rider policy.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I have Travellers Ins here in CT. I pay an extra few bucks a year ($30) & insure all my mods. I have it in an email from them saying that as long as I'm not racing & as long as I can 'drag the jeep to within 10 feet of the road' no matter what happens to it, it's covered.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Didn't see where you're located, but if it's available, check out AAA. Not only do they have great service and roadside assistance but there's also a lifetime warranty on any parts replaced at AAA certified shops. A couple of the SoCal weekend warriors I hit the trails with have had no hassle getting claims filed!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have Travellers Ins here in CT. I pay an extra few bucks a year ($30) & insure all my mods. I have it in an email from them saying that as long as I'm not racing & as long as I can 'drag the jeep to within 10 feet of the road' no matter what happens to it, it's covered.
That's exact what a guy in my 4x4 club did after he rolled his. He had another guy tow it to the nearest dirt road and called his agent and claimed he lost control on the road, and it was covered.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
@spinlock... I hear your point but you're sounding like my agent when you say insurance does NOT cover off road accidents. No disrespect as I see you have over 4 thousand posts here but what you are saying is simply inaccurate. I've searched high and low and found many Wrangler Owners who have had their insurance cover their Wrangler. In some cases they may need a rider policy and in some cases they were covered under their policy directly. . Did you read smittykids post at all? . He was an agent for more then 30 years and got his Wrangler covered WITHOUT a blanket policy. I'm not interested in looking at an older vehicle as I have no place to park a 2nd vehicle and the cost should anything go wrong with an older dedicated 4x4 vehicle is something I can't afford to deal with. But most importantly of all I don't want to live my life like that. I mean, seriously....that would be a real sad way to live life. Not just in regards to my JK...but in general. I bought a very expensive, extremely nice jk to ENJOY and that means using it as my daily driver AND off road. I have a lifetime warranty and plan on keeping it my entire life. Now I just need to find a quality insurance agent as well as get in WRITING my JK will be covered off-road, whether that means under a standard or rider policy.
All of this depends upon your state and your company.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@holio. Please clarify your comment. I'm in California. Are you saying that if you live in a certain State you won't be covered by standard insurance for an off road accident with or without a riders policy? If that's what you're saying, please advise what States are NOT covered.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got off the phone with AAA and State Farm. BOTH cover any off road damage incliding a full total as long as you weren't racing. So these responses of insurance not covering off road accident is completely incorrect.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Most wording in the Auto Policy includes " An organized Event" that is how they try and capture the racing, off-roading, hill climbs, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Lots of conflicting coverage stories here....so I may as well add mine..even though not off road.
I have State Farm...I got hit in a brand new JKU on the last Sat. Oct of '13. Jeep was so new it wasn't even in State Farms computer as to what it was worth. It was 63 days old, less than 2500 miles. Called my agent from the ER. Got the check and picked up the "replacement" Polar Edition JKU on the following Thur. They also took care of the first $25K in MED bills. (as they are s'posed to) but when I say they took care of them, I sent the bills to State Farm, that they didn't already have, and they were paid. No dancing around no questions no "slip ups".
Your agent is lazy IMO...but maybe I just got a good one.

BTW....FWIW since I had, at that time, 3 Jeeps one fairly Modded, I asked about off road damage and she said it doesn't matter, I would be covered.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Lots of conflicting coverage stories here....so I may as well add mine..even though not off road.
I have State Farm...I got hit in a brand new JKU on the last Sat. Oct of '13. Jeep was so new it wasn't even in State Farms computer as to what it was worth. It was 63 days old, less than 2500 miles. Called my agent from the ER. Got the check and picked up the "replacement" Polar Edition JKU on the following Thur. They also took care of the first $25K in MED bills. (as they are s'posed to) but when I say they took care of them, I sent the bills to State Farm, that they didn't already have, and they were paid. No dancing around no questions no "slip ups".
Your agent is lazy IMO...but maybe I just got a good one.

BTW....FWIW since I had, at that time, 3 Jeeps one fairly Modded, I asked about off road damage and she said it doesn't matter, I would be covered.
Yes. Been "in the business" 28 years, a Good Agent makes ALL the difference. As for dancing around or questions - None to ask or answer .... it is what it is. Lots of money for us when we visualize our own checking accounts - not even a rounding error in theirs.
Service is a rare thing these days and as I always have said to me clients, "I should serve Two uses in your Life. #1 Accurately and Adequately protect You from the risks you face AND #2 Help you sleep better at night. Last I checked on a two-part quiz IF I miss either one of those - I Fail".
"Organized Event" is the catch all phrase (usually) going off-roading with your kids or a buddy, going fishing or camping etc.... ain't an "organized event" Unless it is excluded - It's Covered. Period.

·
Registered
392 Posts
This thread got me thinking, so I called my friendly AllState agent, and off road is covered too, short of illegal activity (which makes sense).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts