Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed every since i bought my Jeep, the steering is extremely responsive. When I am on the freeway I can barely turn the steering wheel and the Jeep darts. So all this time I am thinking there is something wrong with my truck. Then yesterday my sister in law brought home her 1995 yj with an original 15,00 miles on it (that's right not a mis print). and it drives the same way has this been your experience? If so does anyone know if bringing my pinion angle down will help this. I degreed my axle 4 degrees and I swear it helped, just wondering if I can go to far with it. If anyone has any other solutions let me know. Thanks guys and gals for all you do.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Ok, So it's not just me either. I have a 94 with 65,000 on the clock and from the day I picked it up (52k) I noticed the same thing. It was bone stock when I started and I have installed a RE 2-1/2 lift and 31's on 15x8 steelies.

I always thought that it was almost too much for a high COV vehicle.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel ya, mine has 33's and 7" of lift so this quick steering is becoming less and less desirable.lol

·
Registered
781 Posts
hey reeves can you post a pic of your jeep. and my yj also darts it does seem odd for a an automobile with more of a roll over risk to move this fast

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
please tell me your setup, i don't have sway bars or track bars on and my jeep has like a delayed time on steering, i want responsive, hell, i'll take over responsive steering compared to what i have. i turn the wheel, and i swear you can say 1 before the jeep turns.. whats your secret????

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the sway bars and diagonal links hooked up. I made the diagonal links adjustable I will try and get you some pictures of my suspension.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
i don't remember my yj doing that, i wonder if there's something in the shaft, or the gear box. you might be able to adjust the gear box.

·
Registered
600 Posts
yeah, mine turns as expected...it used to have like a scoot feeling when it had the stock pizza cutters. is the soa angle help pushing the turns? do you have a shackle inversion?

·
Registered
600 Posts
nope, your not reversed,...hell maybe that would help?

·
Registered
4 Posts
what's your caster angle at currently? I believe I set mine at 8 degrees when I welded the perch's on the axle, and it rides like stock. I'm running SOA btw.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will be putting an 8 degree wedge in next week. I will let you know how it does. I strongly feel that it's an issue

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you flat tow your Jeep or anyone ever has is ruins your steering box, causing the steering issue. There are many wright ups on rebuilding the box. Ive seen it happen to my dads XJ. Mine has no issues for a 95 on 31s, im in the middle of doing a SOA lift by the way!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sweat dude, good luck on the lift, My gear box has basically no play. Neither does the rest of my steering components as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
291 Posts
please tell me your setup, i don't have sway bars or track bars on and my jeep has like a delayed time on steering, i want responsive, hell, i'll take over responsive steering compared to what i have. i turn the wheel, and i swear you can say 1 before the jeep turns.. whats your secret????
+1 dealy sucks!

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Totally stock steering, run with the sway bars connected, and 2-1/2" RE lift. But she turns quickly. No play in the steering.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Maybe replacing te gear box is the next step.
ya i do think the gear box is a good place to look, i think the steering shaft from the wheel to the box will seize up also, it was seized on the one i'm doing. and your gear box should have a tiny bit of play, they will actually get too tight and cause your prob, they won't return to center well either though when that happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts