Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been researching for almost 4 months now and still can't seem to come to any conclusion about whether or not to get a 50" LED light bar or the Rugged Ridge Light Bar with HID lights (haven't chosen which yet.) Here are things I'm considering:

Both set ups are comparable in price
The LED light bar will be easier to install than (5) HID lights & RR light bar
LED seems to be more efficient with less drain on the alternator
I like the LOOK better of HID lights, but LED light bars look cool as well
Garage/overhead clearance may be less of an issue with LED light bar than 5 7" lights (I have a 4" lift and 35" tires)
I already have 2 7" Pro Comp Halogen lights installed on the bumper, HID light bar would match better with this
I am planning on replacing the headlights with LED, JW Speaker or Truck Lite, and think the LED light bar would match better

Below are similar looking images to what I would be mirroring:
HID set up: https://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Images/124478/124478-add4-lg.jpg
LED Light Bar set up: http://lghttp.16990.nexcesscdn.net/...gid-15031-50-inch-led-light-bar-installed.jpg

Is there any reason you have gone towards an LED light bar vs an HID or vice versa? All input would be welcome!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The durability of LED will be much higher than HID and keep the overall height of your Jeep about the same. They both can put up a lot light but the beam pattern can differ significantly.

Since it's obviously for off road purposes, I think the LED bar is more practical.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The durability of LED will be much higher than HID and keep the overall height of your Jeep about the same. They both can put up a lot light but the beam pattern can differ significantly. Since it's obviously for off road purposes, I think the LED bar is more practical.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
LEDs use much less power. The 50" bar uses 20amps.

7 HIDs are going to draw at least 25 if you use dimmer 40 watt HIDs. It will draw ~33 amps with standard 55w bulbs.

As far as looks, just make sure the color of all the lights are the same and it will all match up.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The color temp of the LED and HID should be very close actually in both cases.
(I have both)

I went with x4 HID 55w Eurobeam lamps and have driven them hard. They are from a company called Vision X who also builds lighting for industrial mining equipment and moved into the off road market. They actually draw less once they are struck than a 50" LED bar would've. They strike at 4.6 amps a piece and settle at 3-3.5amps each running and with 4 that put out 5,000 lumens a piece there is a lot of light. (VS the 50" Rigid Bar at 14.44 amps on with 18,000 lumens of output) That said a big factor to consider is restrike time. An LED bar can be shut on and off without any wait. In brightness I have had shootouts with a 50" LED Rigid bar on a club members jeep and the 4 HIDs were brighter, but certainly not by much at all.

Both options are great and I see your pain. While the LED will likely outlast the HID if an HID fails you still have the other ones on. I also have bumper mounted Rigid D2s that blend perfectly up. I use those if I am in a group and don't want to keep firing the overheads on and off.

Not arguing for or against, just throwing some more things for you to think on. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all! I think I will end up doing the LED 50" bar, but replacing the pro comps on the bumper with HID. Headlights with Trucklite. I'd love dually's too but I like the look of the KC long rage a lot, so may do those instead! SO MANY LIGHTS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts