Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded in my 2012 JKUR this past Friday on a 2013 JK Sport S. I wanted a simpler Jeep with less fluff. I ordered both of them from the factory. The '13 only took 3 weeks from order day to keys in hand. Here it is when I picked it up:

I spent the next morning in the garage putting on a Teraflex spacer leveling kit and 15x8 Black Rock 909B's on 33x12.5r15 Duratracs. I was pretty proud that I completed it all by myself. It took me a little over 4 hours:

So I have been waiting a few days to post this because I just needed some time to stew over it. After I finished the lift, I took a shower, left the house in route to my brothers 50th birthday party. I got about 4 blocks and got rear ended at a traffic light:

This is what hit me. I am pretty confident that she was texting but can't be sure. She had to be towed, I drove away:

After waiting for the police for almost 2 hours I just drove home and got out the beer and washed it all away for the night. The next morning I spent cleaning out glass and assessing the damage:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The tailgate is toast. The lower tub has a small crease, I can't remove the jack. The rear glass is gone with minor scratches on the hardtop paint from the shatter. There is now an exhaust leak that sounds pretty BA but smells pretty nasty. Here is after the cleanup:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's in the shop now and I'm driving around in a little sedan rental. I'll find out in a day or two the extent of the damage. The tire took most of the impact and just crumpled the tailgate in. I was stopped and she wasn't going fast. It drove straight so that is a good sign. What a crappy weekend though...

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
That sucks so bad, any word from insurance yet?

EDIT: posted this before your prev post updated. Hope it comes out as it should.

·
Registered
1979 CJ-7 Renegade
6,414 Posts
Oh my gosh, your brand new Jeep ... there are no words :( :(

I sincerely hope there is an all new level of karma hell for people who text while driving.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Man, that causes me physical pain. :nonono:

I'd vote for laws that required texters who cause accidents to do hard time. Sad.

·
Registered
346 Posts
that goes to show you how well our jeeps are built, it says something that you were able to drive away with what could have been a totaled vehicle had it been something else. Also shows how fragile Government Motors vehicles are built now, by no means should she of sustained that kind of damage and have to be towed away ESPECIALLY A 2500 Truck. My moms 2002 yukon took a direct hit from a spare tire falling off of an explorer going 70mph, the only damage that was sustained was a bent bumper,bent hood, & a cracked radiator, 3 years prior we were rear ended by some punk kid going 50 while we were turning into our development, The yukon had a bend rear bumper, otherwise was in perfect condition, the honda civic how ever was completely 100% totaled.

Anywho, sorry about your jeep especially being so new but on the bright side at least you were OK

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sorry brotha, rig was looking good. Everytime i see posts like this makes me want to get a upgraded back bumper.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Sorry brotha, rig was looking good. Everytime i see posts like this makes me want to get a upgraded back bumper.
To be honest, I don't think a back bumper woulda prevented any of his damage. Woulda done more to the vehicle that hit him, which is nice in a street justice kinda way...:)...but I've got a steel Rampage rear bumper, and my spare sticks out far past it. Pretty sure if I got nailed like that, the spare/carrier would trash my tailgate in similar fashion.

·
Registered
694 Posts
that goes to show you how well our jeeps are built, it says something that you were able to drive away with what could have been a totaled vehicle had it been something else. Also shows how fragile Government Motors vehicles are built now, by no means should she of sustained that kind of damage and have to be towed away ESPECIALLY A 2500 Truck. My moms 2002 yukon took a direct hit from a spare tire falling off of an explorer going 70mph, the only damage that was sustained was a bent bumper,bent hood, & a cracked radiator, 3 years prior we were rear ended by some punk kid going 50 while we were turning into our development, The yukon had a bend rear bumper, otherwise was in perfect condition, the honda civic how ever was completely 100% totaled.

Anywho, sorry about your jeep especially being so new but on the bright side at least you were OK

Wrong, all vehicles produced today have front crumple zones. Vehicles will always sustain more damage from the front than the rear. Older vehicles were built too tough, the truck would survive, but the driver would usually suffer damage or be killed. Todays vehicles are safer than ever because of crumple zones.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wow bro, so sorry to hear about this. Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Really sucks that the tub is wrinkled. That's enough to make me want a new Jeep. I worry about the rear end thing all the time. Hopefully my 35" tire will take most of the abuse.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
To be honest, I don't think a back bumper woulda prevented any of his damage. Woulda done more to the vehicle that hit him, which is nice in a street justice kinda way...:)...but I've got a steel Rampage rear bumper, and my spare sticks out far past it. Pretty sure if I got nailed like that, the spare/carrier would trash my tailgate in similar fashion.
KB, the back bumper would help if a sedan hit him not a brick faced pickup. More often than not, a sedan will slip underneath the tire and meet up with the Jeep's bumper. This is especially true if the Jeep is lifted slightly.

I'm curious to see if the the insurance company will cover the replacement of the aftermarket wheel if it was damaged. In any case it sucks for something like this to have happened but luckily no one was hurt. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear this about your new Jeep :(

Perhaps a beefy rear tire carrier can lessen the damage to the tailgate & tub if such a thing happens to someone.

I wonder what would happen in a rear-end scenario if someone had this kind of rear tire carrier:

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
MikeK46 said:
Wow, sorry to hear this about your new Jeep :(

Perhaps a beefy rear tire carrier can lessen the damage to the tailgate & tub if such a thing happens to someone.

I wonder what would happen in a rear-end scenario if someone had this kind of rear tire carrier:
I want that hardtop so bad

1 - 20 of 34 Posts