Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the local Jeepers have bought VHF handhelds to get better range and more clarity in comms over the CB. I am having trouble with (only) one particular frequency (145.500) while inside the Jeep. This freq will tx and rx but has constant static otherwise. No amount of sq control affects it. When I get the unit outside the rig by about 3' all is ok. I have tried two other radios and get the same results. I tried my radio in other rigs and no static.

Static is present with the motor on or off, lights on or off, CB on or off, spod wired or not. Now, if the jeep is off, key out, I open the door and courtesy light comes on = static! I close the door, wait for the light to go out while holding the radio inside the rig, and about 2 sec after the light goes out = no static!

I am thinking the security system is he culprit. But how to locate and fix this?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
My first suggestion is to simply not use 145 MHz. Something in your Jeep is simply radiating in your Jeep at 145 MHz and secondly, 145 MHz is inside the ham band. Do you have your amateur radio license that allows you to transmit on those frequencies? Not to mention there are too many other VHF frequencies available to worry about one specific frequency.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jerry, this freq was given by one of the trail bosses. I am in process of getting my technical, but am aware of the requirements.

145.500 seems to be a good channel to monitor for other traffic so I don't want to give up on it if I don't have to. A Google search turned up a few mentions of other Chrysler products causing rf interference.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
You might try some of the radio noise suppressors on the market. It worked for my Aux-in engine noise problem. There are many of them on the market. The trick is to get the one that works for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts