Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-400P-Automatic-Function-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000X9B32M
https://www.amazon.com/Viair-Automatic-Function-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000X9EGFS (450P)

It looks like 400P is going to fit the bill nicely for what I want from it, with exception of one thing: heat. Where I plan to ride, it could easily get to 130F. (edit: 130F ambient temperature, not the compressor :))

400P specifies duty cycle at 33%, and 450P at 100%.

I know I will not change tires from default Rubicon size for the foreseeable future.

Should I be concerned with 400P not being able to air up from the pressure needed for traversing rock paths to highway before it overheats and needs to cool down for an hour?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have a 400P and it has never kicked off a single time. I have filled up at least 8 35's without giving it a break. I would not worry about filling 4 tires up even in 130* temps. I would worry about me overheating tho :)

·
Super Moderator
16,381 Posts
I have a 400P and it has never kicked off a single time. I have filled up at least 8 35's without giving it a break. I would not worry about filling 4 tires up even in 130* temps. I would worry about me overheating tho :)
Geezus Jeff, I guess we could be brothers...

My 400P runs just fine in the AZ heat. However, I don't do a ton of "air down" trails in the summer time.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Question about the Viair compressors. I was shopping for one before going to Moab and couldn't decide if it would be any better than what I already have for my boat trailer and other vehicles: Goodyear i5000 Cordless Tire Inflator and 12-Volt Power Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D5JUXY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_T2vszbS6WAZYV

I ended up taking two to Moab, and running both at the same time. When I timed them at home they would pump up my 35" tires from 18 to 28 psi in about 7 minutes. Twice the claimed time of the Viair, but I had two of them so broke even. These have a gauge that you set to desired pressure so I can hook them up and go do something else and they cut off when they reach that pressure. Since the tires were hot when filling, I pumped up to 30 which is my preferred warmed up highway pressure.

The thing I can't tell from anything I've seen about Viair pumps, do you have to stay with it at the tire while filling to keep it pumping or can I turn it on and leave it? We ended up sitting in the Jeep in the AC watching the pressures on the dash to know where the pressure was.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The thing I can't tell from anything I've seen about Viair pumps, do you have to stay with it at the tire while filling to keep it pumping or can I turn it on and leave it?
I have a 400P. It wont shut off automatically, but you don't need to hold anything in place. I always connect sway bars/socialize/whatever while my tires are inflating and come back to disconnect the hose after a reasonable amount of time

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I replaced my Viair 450C Automatic Deployment unit with a twin ARB unit under the drivers seat before Moab this year. I have a 1 gallon tank under the Jeep and a quick coupler on each side mounted to the frame. I can use either the normal inflation gun or a Viair regulator to fill my tires. With the regulator, you just plug it in and walk away. When the compressor shuts off, you switch to the other side. This allows me to go talk to everybody, get a drink and stretch my legs.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have a 400P. It wont shut off automatically, but you don't need to hold anything in place. I always connect sway bars/socialize/whatever while my tires are inflating and come back to disconnect the hose after a reasonable amount of time
exactly what I do. you get used to how long it takes and get within a few pounds every time.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Do you have a part # Viair regulator?

I have the 450, and while it doesn't shut off, it is very, very slow. Right now, I use a gun, and I hate sitting there while filling. I figure I'm either replacing it with a ARB twin (bucks), or some kind of auto shutoff system, so I can just hook it up and not worry about it while I do other things.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
The Viair unit I had was too slow and took up too much space in the back of the Jeep. I wanted something that would be faster and mount under the front seat. I prefer the compressor to be in the air conditioning. You will need a small amount of storage with a pressure switch for auto cutoff. Then there will be some cushion as the tire pressure comes up. I can give you some part numbers if you like. The part number for the regulator is 90150.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wonder how the Smittybilt 2781 compares to the Viair 450p?

I just received my smittybilt and havent had a chance to test, and am second guessing myself.

Edit:

After checking some specs, I am comfortable with my purchase.

Here are the only differences I found.

Hose length - Smittybilt 24ft vs Viair 30ft
Airflow - Smittybilt 72L per minute vs Viair 47L per minute
Max ambient temp - Smittybilt 140* vs Viair 158*

Everything else is pretty comparable.

Both have a thermal cutoff switch, both have a 100% duty cycle for 40 minutes, both have a 150psi max pressure.

But damn... The price...

Smittybilt $150 vs Viair $205

1 - 11 of 11 Posts