Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So about 3 months ago I installed my Rugged Ridge SYE kit and my Tattons CV rear driveshaft on my 02 4.0 6cyl manual TJ. I had vibrations that I couldn't figure out, no matter how I adjusted my pinion angle. I had to drive aprox 600 miles with pulsing vibes above 55 mph. I did most of the trip under 55 (which was grueling). When I got to South Carolina, I took the jeep in to a mechanic who specialized in off road vehicles and jeeps. Together, we adjusted my pinion angle again. It felt much better, but I had to leave and head back home that day, so I wasn't able to test it on the highway before heading home. Low and behold it still had the same vibes above 55 mph.

Fast forward to about a week ago. I'm getting a bad shake in the steering wheel/front end right when I put it in 4th and am going about 35 mph, and it's gone once I hit 40 mph. Then when im in 5th and hit 55 mph, its the pulsing vibration in the rear and in the seat . And still I took it to another specialty shop here in PA. I explained what I was experiencing, they took it around the block, came back and said it's probably my tires, because they look like they're out of round.

Yesterday I put brand new 15x8 wheels and 33" duratracs on. It did not take care of any of the problems :(.

So this leads me to my question. I called Curtis Tatton (maker of my rear DS and explained my problems. He asked if the shaking/vibes go away when I let off the accelerator (which they mostly do) and he told me that "99% of the time that means it's a problem with my diff". I really am just looking to get this darn thing running smooths again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the novel but I want to give as much info and background. So thank you for taking time to read and throw suggestions my way.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Rebalance and rotate tires. If the vibration goes away, then you are good. If if changes from the right-front, then maybe you can isolate a bad tire.

Then start scrutinizing the suspension system for worn components.

33"that is a big tire with a lot of unsprung weight. They can strain the suspension, and magnify any deficiencies. Your 2002 may have a lot of worn out suspension components, especially if it's been shod with 33s for a decade.

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
You should have almost everything rebuilt on this by the time you figure it out. Suspension new, rims and tires new, new SYE and CV shaft, etc etc. Maybe the pinion bearing on the rear diff? :confused:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DaisyCutter said:
Rebalance and rotate tires. If the vibration goes away, then you are good. If if changes from the right-front, then maybe you can isolate a bad tire.

Then start scrutinizing the suspension system for worn components.

33"that is a big tire with a lot of unsprung weight. They can strain the suspension, and magnify any deficiencies. Your 2002 may have a lot of worn out suspension components, especially if it's been shod with 33s for a decade.
I just bought brand new wheels and tires. The lift was brand new as well, I put it on about 4k miles ago. The Jeep has 71k total miles. I've checked u joins on the front shaft, and they're good.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
AZJ33PN said:
I just bought brand new wheels and tires. The lift was brand new as well, I put it on about 4k miles ago. The Jeep has 71k total miles. I've checked u joins on the front shaft, and they're good.
Did you take it to the same place to have them balanced as before? Maybe try a different shop to balance them?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AOR said:
Maybe the pinion bearing on the rear diff? :confused:
That's what I'm wondering. Would that cause those those of vibes (front and rear at different speeds)? There is an intermittent, slight squeal when I go up hills or have heavy strain on the rear. It only lasts a few seconds and goes away.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
InvertChaos said:
Did you take it to the same place to have them balanced as before? Maybe try a different shop to balance them?
Yea, I took the old ones to 2 different places for balancing and alignment before buying the brand new ones.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Take the front driveshaft out and see if the vibes ago away. Also, check the front yoke of the transfer case while the DS is out..

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cuder said:
Take the front driveshaft out and see if the vibes ago away. Also, check the front yoke of the transfer case while the DS is out..
Ok. I'll try that this Monday. I took the day off to try to figure this out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, I put Penzoil Synchromesh in my Tcase after the SYE, the guy at NAPA said it would work. Doubt this has anything to do with it, but is that an ok lube in the tcase?

·
Registered
613 Posts
You might need new rear upper adjustable control arms

·
Registered
613 Posts
AZJ33PN said:
I've got a nice set of Clayton UCAs
Oh okay. Nice!!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bad Vibes

I'll be interested in finding out what's causing this, because mine had a shimmy too at almost the same speed and it does go away when I let off on the gas. A good mechanic would know the symptoms, so yours might be on to something. However, it could be a few other things.

My first suspicion is a broken tire belt, but you changed those.

Someone mentioned a drive shaft which could be it too. It may be need to be balanced. Might also be the U joint.

Funny thing is, this happened right after lifting it, right? So, the only other thing, aside from worn suspension parts, that I can think of, would be alignment. You usually have to adjust the caster after a lift. Think of how casters on your chair work, it drags the wheel behind the weight on the axis. If that's off, the wheel will want to flip around and it could shake. Should cost around $65 to check that and around $110 to align if needed.

Best wishes and I hope it's minor.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[QUOTE="Umbra0101" So, the only other thing, aside from worn suspension parts, that I can think of, would be alignment.

Best wishes and I hope it's minor.[/QUOTE]

thank you for the best wishes. I hope its minor too. I've had it aligned 2x since the lift, as I also thought it might be the culprit. No success after the alignment though :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
You probably have, but have you checked ALL of the Ujoints?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
adurbin said:
You probably have, but have you checked ALL of the Ujoints?
I have. I'm going to take the front DS out and see how it drves. Then replace and take rear out

1 - 20 of 46 Posts