Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'mabout to install a rusty's 2in suspension lift. I keep reading posts about vibes and death wobble, it makes me kind of nervous. Exactly what are vibes? (that way i'll know if i have them) Sorry if this gets asked alot, i'm new to jeeps. thanks

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
do you have the 4.0L or a 4cyl? rear D35 or D44? 5 or 6 speed manual or 3 or 4 speed auto tranny?

if the driveshaft angle become stoo big you´ll get driveshaft vibes. if you have some vibe dropping the transfer case skidplate will help.

i had to drop the TC plate about 1/4" with some washers and then the vibes were gone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2.5, dana 35, 5speed.

Does this vibrate the whole jeep? Is it dangerous or just annoying? thanks

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
not the whole jeep. you only hear a vibrating sound from the driveshaft. that´s all.

with a short D35 and the shotr 4cyl and manual tranny you shouldn´t get vibes with only 2" lift. a friend has such a tj with 3" lift and he still didn´t need to drop the TC.

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
I lived with vibes for a while. They aren't dangerous, they just shorten the life of your driveshaft and are annoying as hell.

I ended up with a MML and a slight t-case drop. Vibes are gone.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've learned every damn TJ is different in how a lift affects it:confused: . I lifted my 98 TJ (D35/Auto) and got no vibes or DW.

Just put same lift on my 04 TJ (D44/5spMT) and seem to avoided the vibes but got some nasty DW that an alignment didn't fix at all. Still haven't figured that one out:mad:!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've learned every damn TJ is different in how a lift affects it:confused: . I lifted my 98 TJ (D35/Auto) and got no vibes or DW.

Just put same lift on my 04 TJ (D44/5spMT) and seem to avoided the vibes but got some nasty DW that an alignment didn't fix at all. Still haven't figured that one out:mad:!
I have the same thing on my 04 :crash:
I have the wobble between 40-45mph then it goes away.I'm gonna try a steering dampmer first then go to lower control arms if that doesnt help...

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have the same thing on my 04 :crash:
I have the wobble between 40-45mph then it goes away.I'm gonna try a steering dampmer first then go to lower control arms if that doesnt help...
Was just told by a guy at Northridge that 90% of the time, DW is a front T-bar issue. Guess I'll investigate on that now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Front t-bar? :confused:
I never had it until I put the thornies on. I figured it was from the added weight of the tires

·
Registered
857 Posts
U got me. I'm more confused now than I was. I've been told about 10 different reasons why I'm getting DW:doh:. Tbar is as good an explanation as any I suppose:confused: . I'm scrapping the 2" BB and going w/3" coil (FT or Rusty's) and new Tbar.:punk:

·
Registered
150 Posts
have you tried new lower control arms or a stabilizer??? One of my buddies had the DW and BDS told him that he needed new lowers. he put them on and got it aligned and took care of it...

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I lived with vibes for a while. They aren't dangerous, they just shorten the life of your driveshaft and are annoying as hell.

I ended up with a MML and a slight t-case drop. Vibes are gone.
Kinda sounds like an ex wife but then that's another story........

·
Registered
857 Posts
have you tried new lower control arms or a stabilizer??? One of my buddies had the DW and BDS told him that he needed new lowers. he put them on and got it aligned and took care of it...
Well, my uppers have a slight amt of play in them at the bushings (prob 1/16-1/8"). However, I have no idea what the tolerance is for them so they may be fine. Couldn't get much play out of the lowers. The Northridge guy and a local guy both told me to lay under the front end and watch the Tbar while somebody turns the wheel and see if there is any play there.

I think we may have hijacked this thread. :D

·
Registered
857 Posts
That's the idea that struck me on the way home today. Duh:doh: Guess I'll switch out all the bushings I can get my hands on and see what happens. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the issue. Anything else will start costing.

I guess the reason it never crossed my mind is b/c my TJ only has 33K on it. Didn't really expect bushings to go out that soon. Guess you never know.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's the idea that struck me on the way home today. Duh:doh: Guess I'll switch out all the bushings I can get my hands on and see what happens. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the issue. Anything else will start costing.

I guess the reason it never crossed my mind is b/c my TJ only has 33K on it. Didn't really expect bushings to go out that soon. Guess you never know.
Definetly let us know about the bushings. That would save me alot of time lol :punk:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts