Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been months since I first felt a vibration through the gas pedal. It is like a knocking/clunking noise that I first thought was the sway bar link hitting the spring.

After having my sister sit in the driver seat and turn the steering wheel, I determined that it was solely the steering system that was resulting in this clunk.

As of this moment the engine is too hot to reach into the upper steering area, but the drag link/pitman arm DO NOT seem to be the cause of this clunking noise, suggesting that something further up the chain is a bit loose.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,289 Posts
It's the upper intermediate shaft. Known to cause the clunk felt in both the steering wheel and pedals. Replace under warranty if you're still covered. If not, no big deal. It will return on the new one too.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I took my Jeep in about it and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, so I just hot fixed it. :rolleyes: Just like ESP said, people have had the shaft replaced, the same problem will return. There's another fix people have done that used 2 hose clamps and a spring to tighten the play between the shaft.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It has been months since I first felt a vibration through the gas pedal. It is like a knocking/clunking noise that I first thought was the sway bar link hitting the spring.

After having my sister sit in the driver seat and turn the steering wheel, I determined that it was solely the steering system that was resulting in this clunk.

As of this moment the engine is too hot to reach into the upper steering area, but the drag link/pitman arm DO NOT seem to be the cause of this clunking noise, suggesting that something further up the chain is a bit loose.
Found this video link about the replacement of the intermediate steering shift. Seems to be a fairly easy repair. Going to be doing it to mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts