Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

A couple weeks ago I purchased new wheels and tires for my Jeep. I installed a 2" budget boost at the same time. The jeep has 54,xxx miles on it.

5- New Summit Racing steel d-window wheels.
5- New Goodyear Duratrac tires 31x10.50x15 from Sears, had them install them on the new wheels and a front end alignment.

On the first test run there was a vibration in the steering wheel between 40-50MPH. I checked the lugs, they were tight. I checked for missing weights and could not tell because they placed them all on the inside..

I took it back. They re-balanced the wheels with weights on the inside and outside.

Still had the vibe from 40-50.

Took it back and they re-balanced for a third time and I called Goodyear. Goodyear said the shop should have called them by now (the 3rd time) and got another set of tires. I relayed that to the shop.

Left the shop and still had the vibration. Immediately returned and the "acting manager" said that he would order another set but it wont fix it because 1. It's not the factory size tire 2. I have the factory steering stabilizer.

Then he said he couldn't get another set until October...

I talked to another guy the next day and it took him two days but he called and said he "rounded up" 5 tires from other shops and they would be here Friday (today).

I just left the shop with a new set of tires. The fronts have two medium size weights on the outside, the left rear has 3 large weights on the outside, the right rear has 3 med weights and the spare has 3 large ones. Still have the vibration. They drove it and came back and said it still has the vibe but only in 5th gear, they couldn't explain it but then he went into the steering stabilizer theory again. He also said the spare and one of the rear wheels are bent.

I tested the "only vibes in 5th gear story" on the way home. It vibes in any gear at that speed, not as much when it's under power but it's still there in 3,4 & 5th.

I don't know what to think at this point (hence the post). I have not even been on a dirt road since getting the tires/wheels so a bent wheel would have to be a manufacturing defect.

thoughts??

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have a small steering wheel shake at 40-50 so i did some research and read a ton of forums. You mentioned a wheel being bent. That was one of the things i read.. He swapped the spare to the bent one and shake was gone. So if a wheel is bent id contact the wheel manufacturer and see what theyll do about it. Sounds like thats your issue since balancing was the number one issue and youve done that like 3 times. Also i read the steering stabilizer wouldnt cause that and a better one would just mask the true problem. From all my reading and your post, seems to me the bent wheel is your issue

·
Registered
141 Posts
hope someone helps

Man Im having similar problems with my 05 TJ. It only has 50XXX miles and I just recently put a 4" lift on with 33s and had the tires and wheels balanced and the front end realigned and the vibes actually stopped. Now around 500miles after steering wobble and vibes have returned around 45-50mph and I cannot for the life of me figure out what could all of a sudden be causing the steering wobble. What really puzzles me is it smooths out after 50?....completely lost.

I do have a heavy duty steering stabilizer, SYE and double cardan DS so I dont see any of that being the problem....

Hope someone on here has an idea...

thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alex,

I'm sure I have read pretty much the same threads as you. I have another set of wheels coming from Summit, should be here Monday. They "worked" with me but didn't replace them at no cost. So I'll have 10 wheels to pick 5 "good" ones from.

gsellars,

It is possible a wheel weight fell off.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I had vibrations with a set of Pro Comp steel wheels. 4 Wheel Parts swore the wheels were warped/bent from when they were welded together. They talked me into upgrading to a set of Aluminum rims and claimed that would get rid of my vibrations. It did NOT solve the problem. I wanted to wait for more steel rims but they were backordered for months out.

I still have minor vibrations and I am thinking it is the Goodyear tires.

After I had the tires installed the Jeep I had a set of Goodyear Eagle RSA tires on my wife's Trailblazer SS. The tire shop had to return one of the tires and exchange it because it wouldn't balance without vibrations. The tire shop said Goodyear is having problems with the way they are shipping/stacking tires causing them to deform and cause vibrations. The tire shop is seeing a lot of these problems with Goodyear tires and having to return/exchange them.

I should have demanded a different tire to see if it was the tires but too late for me now.

_

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The replacement wheels will be here today. I am going to try again to get this resolved this afternoon.

I was given the option of trying a different tire but the cost difference was not negotiated (no managers around) so that avenue wasn't pursued.

If I can get a different tire I think the options that appealed to me were:

Goodyear MTR
BFG MT
Hankook MT
Cooper SST
General grabber

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
Aftermarket steel wheels are seldom 'true', they can often be the root cause of a speed sensitive shimmy. More common is a simple tire being out of balance but if the tires are major brand and can't be balanced well enough & they are on steel wheels, it's pretty safe bet you got a steel wheel or three that isn't spinning true.

Not to mention most aftermarket steel wheels are easily bent when offroading, which is why my experiment with steel wheels was short lived & why I only run aluminum wheels now.

Tire-wise, out of the tires you listed, I'd go right to the GY MT/R. That is a superb tire that is nearly bulletproof offroad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well,

Jerry you are on the right track. I haven't gotten my Jeep back yet, going back in another hour and a half.

I dropped it off today around 1PM. Close to 2PM I went back and the guy said "your not going to like what I am going to say". He said the replacement wheels were also not round (they only checked two of the five). He took me over to the balancer and spun the wheel. It wobbled slightly. Tried another one, it wobbled as well.

Pretty frustrated and disappointed I called Summit. The Rep (I forget her name, Veronica maybe?) said she had heard about this once before and asked me to hold. She came back and said that they should be balanced from the lug holes not the hub. That since they are lug centric the hub may not be truly center. Made sense to me and I relayed it to the shop guy. They have the adapter and are going to balance the 5 that are currently on the Jeep and see what happens.

Why the multiple ( five or so ) guys at the tire shop didn't think of that is a mystery. Either way, I'm hoping that it's squared away in a little bit.

Will update later.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Good! How did the wheel situation go? Did you get 5 good ones? Or are they close to being good ones? Hopefully the manufacturer will take better care if you now that youve got a total of 10 wheels with the majority of them bent. Thats ridiculous. Glad its starting to come together for ya. Seems stressful

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good! How did the wheel situation go? Did you get 5 good ones? Or are they close to being good ones? Hopefully the manufacturer will take better care if you now that youve got a total of 10 wheels with the majority of them bent. Thats ridiculous. Glad its starting to come together for ya. Seems stressful
The shop only opened two of the five new wheels (I left them boxed...another story) and checked them. They both "wobbled".

Now, in full disclosure, this was when we/they were spinning them on the hub instead of the lug holes.

The end result was that they did not use any of the replacement wheels, just rebalanced the ones the tires were mounted on.

I asked them to do that first because if you mount a tire to the wheel you can't return it. I didn't want to be stuck with extra wheels.

There is still IMO a lot of weight on 3 of the 5 wheels. I might take it to another shop and see what results I get.

I told the shop guy about spinning the tire 180* on the wheel and he actually finished the sentence before I did so he must have atleast heard of it before. Now, whether that was relayed to the tech doing the work I don't know.

The vibe is about 70% gone so there was some improvement.

Regarding being stressful, the whole experience was not a good one in all honesty. I worked a ton of overtime the last 2 months to allocate the funds to the wheels/tires/lift. We work 3 12's a week on a 2-2-3 schedule and I was working some 4, 5 and 7 day stretches. I thought I had it pretty planned out and everything would go smooth. The lift was the only thing that went 90% smooth (broke 1 shock bolt).

I have had 3 jeeps in the past, a 00TJ, 94YJ, 92WJ and a 96 Land Rover Discovery. The WJ was stock but the Wranglers and the Disco were all lifted and modified. This, for being only a 2" BB and 31's was more of a battle that all of the others. Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy :whistling:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts