Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some automotive education here... When stopped and idle, I get a vibration that noticeably shakes the mirrors. If I drop it in neutral, the vibration drops significantly and is not bad at all. Question: What happens when you shift an automatic into drive from neutral that can cause more engine vibration.

Give it a little gas to bring up the rpm's just a little (but foot still on the brakes) and all vibrations disappear.

Notes on my rig: 2004 TJ Auto, tummy tuck, sye, and brown dog motor mounts (rubber). I found this vibration when working on the brown dog motor mounts to get the sweet spot on the through bolts to remove the vibration being transferred to the body.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check again, but all hoses appear fine with no cracks. Also, rpms are low (under 500 when idle, and only have to rev to 800-900 to remove all vibrations...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yup. checked all hoses under the hood as well as all the connections... no leaks found... open to any other suggestions...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bingo... I loosened the trans mount bolts and then re-torqued to 21ft lbs... now the minor vibration is the same whether in drive or neutral... (and that I'm still working on with the brown dog engine mounts... have to fine tune the through bolts so they are not too tight, not too loose...)

I can only guess that was the shifting vibration was caused from the settling of the transmission after the tummy tuck and sye install.
Thanks for the suggestion wwcg99tj. Much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts