Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I have a 1989 Wrangler 4cyl 5 speed that has around 170K miles on it. I noticed lately that when i reverse into my space at the office (it's a completely level parking lot), i get an awful vibration in the drivetrain.

I don't go any faster than a couple mph and if i give it more gas and less clutch it seems to hide from me, but with low RPMs and more clutch it feels as though the tranny will drop on the ground.

I'm not sure what this could be, but hoping its something simple like U-joints (which i've never replaced before).

Anything else i should look for or hone in on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
U joints usually don't have low speed vibrations. But I would still recommend looking at them.

Think of what's different in reverse as opposed to forward gears. That'll help your diagnostic route. I'd first look at the transmission mount.

Reactions: KazWrangler

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Transmission and engine mounts come to mind.

Reactions: MudMagnetYJ

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the transmission mount's rubber piece seems to be disintegrated when peering at it from underneath. I've notice the problem happens in 1st gear as well.

How do you go about checking engine mounts?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
YJ engine mounts are easy. Just have the Jeep idling, and give it a few revs using the throttle body. Look at the two engine mounts. If they move a lot of have any clunks, they're bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts