Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 07 jeep has been acting up lately. At around 40-55 on highways it starts to shake. I know it is not the death wobble because it is not that violent. I can only get it to stop after slowing down or more efficiently stopping. I can feel it in the steering wheel. Got the u joints and steering dampener replaced and it came back. Been to my usual shops and the latest one says its the transmission that is going bad. What I need is a list to take to the shop and say hey check all this stuff out because I do not want to have to get a new tranny. Plus, the wife will not think it is viable enough to keep the jeep if I need a new tranny. Which is reasonable for where I am in life. My baby has about 140 k on it and is all stock if that helps. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
have you tried getting your wheels balanced or checking your alignment or both?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I want to do next. I guess what I want to know is how it could be the transmission. I am making appointment in next few days and bringing it in to check what you suggested. I just cannot afford a new transmission.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,009 Posts
If you are referring to a actual shake in the steering wheel and not a vibration, then tire/wheel balance issue. At that mileage, your Ball joints are most likely worn out.

Normally shaking at them speeds are tire/wheel issues!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm experiencing the same thing. When I drive on the hi way above 60 mph then let off the gas and let the jeep coast. As the speed drops to about 58 MPH the steering wheel shakes. If I allow the jeep to slow down more the shake goes away. Same thing accelerating, as I get around 58 MPH and hold that speed shake starts.

Anyone know what it could be?
Ball joints?
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts