Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m sending this out for my brother who needs some help. Thanks in advance!

I’m in need of a picture of the door vin label off a 90’ YJ first 8 of Vin needs to be 2J4FY29T. Let me explain, my original doors were stolen and I’m now trying to register in California and they require the door label as a vin verification. I’ve sent everything I have to ESC the replacement vin label company but they need an example picture of the vin label which has the same first 8 of Vin and GVW info. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
945 Posts
My vin sticker is on the door not the jamb

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely nothing fishy going on. He bought the YJ from a family member and was told the top and doors had been stolen. It was registered in Washington and we live in California. He took it to dmv to get it registered here and they won’t vin verify it without that sticker. The company he is working with is the same company the dealerships work with to get replacement stickers. They just need a template to go off of so it’s done properly. I know it sounds sketchy, but I assure you as someone who has been on this forum (I have a Tj so I’m usually on that side) for a long time now, we’re just looking for some brotherly jeep help. Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, from what I’ve researched that sticker was put on the jamb, door, or even tailgate. All I know is we can’t find it anywhere on this thing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If sending the whole vin is making anyone uneasy, the first 8 matching digits is all that’s needed to ensure that the vehicle weights can be verified for the sticker.

·
Super Moderator
12,669 Posts
My '87 had the paper VIN label on the drivers door.

When I replaced my half doors with full doors, the '91 (or possibly newer) drivers door also had the VIN on it.

The first two pics are the original doors.
The second two pics are the used full doors.

On each set of doors, (and the entire exterior and interior of the tub with the first set of doors) I had them media blasted to remove any old paint. Naturally the old VIN decals went away with the old paint.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Fact.

California will not VIN verify without the VIN being visible in two locations, and “visible” does not mean the stamped numbers in the frame, apparently it is too much trouble to see it.

I have only had one YJ with the VIN on the tub. All of the Canadian built (OP’s is Canadian) examples I have owned, and virtually all of the U.S. ones, had the VIN tag on the door.

j4j, I do not currently have a Canadian built Base model available for a VIN pic. I will poll the local guys and if we have one will get it to you. As info. GVW for that one is 4001-5000 lbs.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,917 Posts
Point of reference, My '88 AMC sahara has a vin plate on the firewall above the Battery
My '89 Chrysler built Laredo does not. Both doors have corresponding vin decals on the bottom corner under the latch. Guessing the firewall plate ceased in '89?

·
Super Moderator
12,669 Posts
The VIN should be easily visible on the dash and on a metal tag on the firewall. I have two VIN tags on my firewall, one over the battery and the other below the square plug next to the brake booster.

I've seen newer Wranglers with the paper VIN lable on the drivers door jamb.

If California simply requires tow easily visible VIN tags, look on your firewall and dash. Make sure that the VIN on both tags match or they'll impound your vehicle.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
⬆ I just heard this from a guy at work as well today. I talked to my brother and he does have that firewall tag and he did try to tell the guy at dmv about it but was told that they need to have the federal sticker with all the weights on it. Typical California bulls$&t. I told him to go to a different dmv. Anyways, still on the hunt. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Will here are a couple of pictures of mine, which is on the door not the jamb.

Attachments

Reactions: SoCalC101CJYJTJ

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
⬆ I just heard this from a guy at work as well today. I talked to my brother and he does have that firewall tag and he did try to tell the guy at dmv about it but was told that they need to have the federal sticker with all the weights on it. Typical California bulls$&t. I told him to go to a different dmv. Anyways, still on the hunt. Thanks guys.
If your Brother is a AAA member he can get a VIN verification there and avoid the DMV altogether. I have found it is far easier, for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ll run the AAA thing by him. Your right, I have it and it makes a world of difference. I didn’t know they would do a vin verification. Here’s to hoping👍🏻

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Will here are a couple of pictures of mine, which is on the door not the jamb.
Hey those door panels look familiar!!!

·
Registered
945 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts