Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks for sharing this... The oldest Rubicon trail video I've seen!

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Definitely more than 50 years ago as it says Willy Motor Co. No factory roll bars and no fender flares.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
The company name of Willys Motor Company existed from 1953 to 1963. Before that it was Willys-Overland and after 1963 it was Kaiser-Jeep. (Kaiser owned Willys from 1953 to the 1970's).

Seat belts were introduced as an option in the 1949 Nash and then the 1955 Ford. They did not catch on, and were an option for many years. I remember that when I bought my new 1965 VW as a college senior, it had no seat belts, but had the provisions for them. After seeing a classmate involved in an accident in his '64 VW and get thrown out and suffer a broken hip and lose a semester, I went down and bought from the VW dealer - one seat belt and installed it on the drivers seat. A few months later, I went down and bought the second one.

But in those days, they understood the risks of racing like that without restraints and went for it. Note also the poor use of head protection. But, like me as a 21 year old in my first car - I don't need no stinking belts. The injury to a classmate caused me to reconsider my position and realize that I was not in fact immortal.

Little did I know that in less than a year a seat belt would save my life in a head on collision on the Interstate, but instead of my VW, it was in a 1966 TR-4A which came from the dealer with seatbelts. Fortunately the habit I formed in the Bug and in flight training made sure I always fastened the belt. I got 13 stitches out of the deal and a broken nose by hitting the steering wheel (no shoulder harness yet).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts