Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get opinions on the viper alarm system or recommendations for other systems. Recently there have been a lot of Jeeps stolen in the area and just so happens that I denied the security package from the dealership because it was an extra 4K. Any info is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
16,895 Posts
Just wanted to get opinions on the viper alarm system or recommendations for other systems. Recently there have been a lot of Jeeps stolen in the area and just so happens that I denied the security package from the dealership because it was an extra 4K. Any info is appreciated!

What!

Wow.... anyway. Not sure about where you are but around here a car alarm going off barely gets noticed maybe a "shut your alarm off a-hole I'm trying to take a nap..."

IF you are really concerned and obviously you are or you wouldn't have started a thread - Try a visible redundant system that represents an investment of time to the would be thief. (brake pedal lock + the Club + window etching) They want an easy in/out target. Thieves have a really strong aversion to getting caught. Light and visibility is a deterrent as well.
A tracking device isn't a bad idea either.
IF they want it they will winch it into a box truck and drive away anyway.

* In most cases I do not suggest the devices that notify the owner that the vehicle is under attack - that just invites an escalation face to face most people are ill equipped to handle.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My dealer wanted 2500.00 for an alarm system and I was not having it.

Mr. RubiconSS is correct about alarms just being ignored in many areas. I work at the airport and when the fighters take off for training several times a day all the cars with alarms in the parking lot go off and not a soul blinks an eye. Now for suburbia it would be effective in most cases.

For me making an ignition interruption circuit with switch and a mid grade viper will do the trick. Nothing will stop a professional thief equipped with a flat bed and a 3 foot drill bit. But it should frustrate the punk a55 kids.

Also keep your key fobs in a faraday cage " cigar box lined with foil " to keep a pro from scanning your keys from the front door.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Viper is good. Better than the oem. Get the high end 2 way remote package though. When the alarm goes off, so does the remote.

If you don't already have the oem remote start, you may as well get the combo start/alarm. There are a lot of features on them. Far more than the stock systems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a Viper aftermarket alarm years ago. Not a terrific system. It gave many false alarms, could easily be disabled, but was a basic alarm that made noise and might scare off a thief. I'd keep looking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts