Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running the bolt on VKS sliders? Trying to decide on rails for my JKU. My welding skills don’t pay the bills so bolt on was my best bet. Tried to do some searching but looks like most VKS rail posts died last year with minimal info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
I run VKS Prerunner bolt on sliders, they look great and can take a hit! Pain in the ass to mount with out a doubt, but I don't regret it one bit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run VKS Prerunner bolt on sliders, they look great and can take a hit! Pain in the ass to mount with out a doubt, but I don't regret it one bit.

The install is what I’m a little concerned with. I’ve never had to use a tap before and don’t really want to screw anything up. I was tempted to just have someone weld it but I figured it would be another couple hundred bucks for that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The install is what I’m a little concerned with. I’ve never had to use a tap before and don’t really want to screw anything up. I was tempted to just have someone weld it but I figured it would be another couple hundred bucks for that.
The first hole is the scariest when drilling into the frame, but most of the bolts are self tapping, there is only one you have to tap yourself if I remember correctly. Just make sure you are threading in level and back out a quarter turn whenever it binds to clear the threads of the tap. Once you complete the install you'll have some new skills you can apply to the rest of your build!

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Why not pay to have someone weld it on? It's like a 15 minute job, and it's not moving after that.

·
Super Moderator
2,847 Posts
@kjeeper10 runs a set bolted on. I was looking at a set before I decided to build my own and asked him for his opinion. He highly recommended them at the time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not pay to have someone weld it on? It's like a 15 minute job, and it's not moving after that.

I’m really starting to lean that way. My concern is rusting and moisture that’s why the bolt on was ideal. I could swap them out easier.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I’m really starting to lean that way. My concern is rusting and moisture that’s why the bolt on was ideal. I could swap them out easier.

They are going to last longer than the rest of your jeep. I live in Washington and mine have no rust, despite the tops of the driver side being bare metal due to me stepping on them getting in and out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are going to last longer than the rest of your jeep. I live in Washington and mine have no rust, despite the tops of the driver side being bare metal due to me stepping on them getting in and out.

That’s really good to know! Have you considered putting skateboard deck tape along the top? Just curious if that would help.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
That’s really good to know! Have you considered putting skateboard deck tape along the top? Just curious if that would help.

I have, mostly because I fell off them once and my foot came down on a rock and jacked my foot up for a month.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just finished installing my VKS Bolt on sliders. Honestly easy to do. Mentally daunting to drill the frame but that was it. Love them though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Painted them myself. Decreased them. Lightly sanded them down and a few coats of primer and a few coats of satin black. Figured I’m going to trash them so easiest to touch up. I’m going to do the face though to match the body. Waiting on paint still

·
Registered
85 Posts
OP - I've been looking at changing JKU rails for a while, haven't had time for install so decision has been delayed. Seems like several good options on frame mount: LOD, VKS, Hyline, Shrockworks, etc. Any specific reasons you leaning towards VKS? Obviously I am way overthinking it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OP - I've been looking at changing JKU rails for a while, haven't had time for install so decision has been delayed. Seems like several good options on frame mount: LOD, VKS, Hyline, Shrockworks, etc. Any specific reasons you leaning towards VKS? Obviously I am way overthinking it.

I really liked how the VKS sliders came up the sides of the tub giving that added protection. I had also heard very good things about them on this site. I don’t really care for the LOD ones idk why but I don’t like how they did the step at the top. My second pick is EVO manufacturing’s slider.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

Imo, that's good thought.

Even the best quality can get chipped by a rock kicked up off the front tires. Which I hear happening every week on my sliders, every rock doesn't chip the powder coat, but some do.

I'm about to pull mine off after a couple years and touch them up, take care of any rust, etc.

If they are steel, powder coated, they require maintenance. How frequent that maintenance is, depends on the quality.

The other thought I have is they're a wear item, when they get tore up enough I'll replace them. I have some chips on the bottom and a long scrape on passenger side.

You could get aluminum. Wish I could afford aluminum stuff all around.

But if you wheel, they're gonna get beat up some. So, I look at them more like shoes on my feet. They're nice now, but I will get another set eventually.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts