Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here, so I apologize if there is already a thread on the subject. But I am wondering to what extent a new suspension lift would void the warranty on a 2011 JKU. I am sure the lift will void any warranty on suspension components, but I am not too worried about it, seeing as that the parts will be replaced anyway. But will the lift void the entire extended dealers warranty? Or possibly the comprehensive? Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
First time poster here, so I apologize if there is already a thread on the subject. But I am wondering to what extent a new suspension lift would void the warranty on a 2011 JKU. I am sure the lift will void any warranty on suspension components, but I am not too worried about it, seeing as that the parts will be replaced anyway. But will the lift void the entire extended dealers warranty? Or possibly the comprehensive? Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think it does. I'm about to replace my Rubicon suspension with a 2.5" MetalCloak GC. I was told at purchase anything 3" or under wouldn't be a problem. I hope not, but its part of modding. I could see my driveshaft being an issue and then I will replace with aftermarket. I could also see running 37" could cause issue to my axle, but you have to pay to play.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it does. I'm about to replace my Rubicon suspension with a 2.5" MetalCloak GC. I was told at purchase anything 3" or under wouldn't be a problem. I hope not, but its part of modding. I could see my driveshaft being an issue and then I will replace with aftermarket. I could also see running 37" could cause issue to my axle, but you have to pay to play.
Thanks for the reply. Would the angle of the driveshaft cause any major issues with a 3" lift? The driveshaft will have to be replaced eventually, but the jeep will not be seeing any major wheeling in the immediate future. How important is a new driveshaft?

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Would the angle of the driveshaft cause any major issues with a 3" lift? The driveshaft will have to be replaced eventually, but the jeep will not be seeing any major wheeling in the immediate future. How important is a new driveshaft?
I believe it has more to do with the dealer. I have visited twice with my dealer about what does and doesn't void the Warranty. They both during the two visits several weeks apart told me that if the lift was installed properly and they can see that you take care of the vehicle as (having them do oil changes and so on) that it would not void the warranty.

I normally do all my oil changes and other maintenance on our 2013, but because our 2015 came with Forever warranty on drive train, I am going to have them do the oil changes and take those opportunity's to get to know the Service account managers. I also found out you can buy oil change contracts which make the oil changes extremely reasonable. as in four changes for $90. I cannot buy the oil and filters for that. I will however inspect the filter housing and oil level before I leave the lot.

I'm going to give it a shot anyway. When I install a 2.5 X factor and 35s I will show them the finished product. This dealer sells a bunch of JKs that they install 3" lifts on. The RK is a far superior product than what they are installing. Good luck but maybe consider getting to know them, couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Depends on the dealership everyone is different some are mod friendly like my local ones the love moded jeeps thank god lol . I used to work for jeep and they state any lift under 3 inches dose NOT void warranty but like I said its up to the dealership at the end of the day .. I live in SoCal and the dealership I go to is called Redlands auto plaza. Ask around in your area even call the service department and ask if they are mod friendly

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe it has more to do with the dealer. I have visited twice with my dealer about what does and doesn't void the Warranty. They both during the two visits several weeks apart told me that if the lift was installed properly and they can see that you take care of the vehicle as (having them do oil changes and so on) that it would not void the warranty. I normally do all my oil changes and other maintenance on our 2013, but because our 2015 came with Forever warranty on drive train, I am going to have them do the oil changes and take those opportunity's to get to know the Service account managers. I also found out you can buy oil change contracts which make the oil changes extremely reasonable. as in four changes for $90. I cannot buy the oil and filters for that. I will however inspect the filter housing and oil level before I leave the lot. I'm going to give it a shot anyway. When I install a 2.5 X factor and 35s I will show them the finished product. This dealer sells a bunch of JKs that they install 3" lifts on. The RK is a far superior product than what they are installing. Good luck but maybe consider getting to know them, couldn't hurt.
Getting to know the dealer? Now that's just ludicrous. Everyone knows dealers are the devil!

Now in all seriousness, it may very well help to call and inquire of the dealership. Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends on the dealership everyone is different some are mod friendly like my local ones the love moded jeeps thank god lol . I used to work for jeep and they state any lift under 3 inches dose NOT void warranty but like I said its up to the dealership at the end of the day .. I live in SoCal and the dealership I go to is called Redlands auto plaza. Ask around in your area even call the service department and ask if they are mod friendly
Yes, we will definitely have to give the dealership a call. Hopefully they are as mod friendly as yours. They do have quite the selection of both lifted and lowered trucks, so fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
9,112 Posts
Yes, the dealer can make all the difference.

Having said that, some dealers will flatly tell you that ANY modification done by an non-authorized dealership, using non-authorized parts will void the warranty.

As mentioned above, look for one that is mod friendly --you can tell if it is if it has modded Jeeps on display.

Good luck,

Aldo

·
Registered
10,175 Posts

Having said that, some dealers will flatly tell you that ANY modification done by an non-authorized dealership, using non-authorized parts will void the warranty.

As mentioned above, look for one that is mod friendly --you can tell if it is if it has modded Jeeps on display.
+1 for finding a "mod friendly" dealer. If the Service Manager looks the other way, there is rarely a problem.

The issue is that vehicle abuse can legally allow the manufacturer to fully void the warranty for the entire vehicle. Case law has established that abuse are activities like off-roading and racing (yah, I know, aren't Jeeps made to be taken off-road?). If the mods you make, are considered evidence of off-roading or racing, they are within their rights to void the warranty. It doesn't matter if you made those mods strictly for show. Just to add, racing mods to a Mustang can have the same consequence.

That's why a "mod friendly" dealer is so very import. You want one that doesn't go running to Chrysler, with pictures, simply because you have off-roading mods. A "mod friendly" dealer wouldn't do anything unless, well, you come in with some rather serious off-roading damage.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Good luck,

Aldo
I suspect that "on the record" that is exactly what they have to say. If you get to know the service manager and use them regularly, they will be fine. Now rock up for the first time ever with a 47" lift, dents, and dust and say "fix it under warranty" and they might give you the stink-eye...

It was like that with my small very fast cars at least.

:)

·
Registered
275 Posts

Good luck,

Aldo

Not true at all. It's FEDERAL LAW that a mod can only void warranty if it's the cause of the breakdown. In other words, a lift does not void engine warranty just like an exhaust doesn't void transmission warranty.

On top of that, a dealer has to prove beyond doubt that the mod was the cause. If they cant, the warranty applies.

Google for the article numbers on the law I don't know them offhand.

·
Super Moderator
9,112 Posts
Not true at all. It's FEDERAL LAW that a mod can only void warranty if it's the cause of the breakdown. In other words, a lift does not void engine warranty just like an exhaust doesn't void transmission warranty.

On top of that, a dealer has to prove beyond doubt that the mod was the cause. If they cant, the warranty applies.

It may be Federal law, but it doesn't mean what I said is false: depending who you talk to, some dealers will tell you exactly what I said.

As Lotusman mentioned above, once you get to know your dealer, likely he will be willing to go the extra mile for you in more ways than one.

Aldo

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

They only have to prove it if you sue them. Until that point, you're at their mercy.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
The law is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act. As with any law, it is a compromise. Part of it is pro-consumer. Part of it is pro-manufacturer.

The "pro-consumer" part allows one to perform maintenance, like rotating your tires or replacing the wiper blades, without voiding the warranty. Back when this law was passed, such problems were common. Dealers used such scare tactics to get buyers of new cars to feel that had to come back to the dealer for all maintenance or risk losing their warranty. Thankfully, today, because of this law, you can do your own maintenance, or go to third party and have them do your maintenance.

The "pro-manufacturer" part allows manufacturers to completely and totally void the full warranty if there was any abuse. Case law has established that off-roading and racing are examples such abuse.

A lot of people who are into mods, like to quote the "pro-consumer" part, and pretend the "pro-manufacturer" part doesn't exist.

It would be great if true. Unfortunately, all the manufactures need to show, are evidence of abuse. What's that? Accepted evidence are mods that are typical of such usage. It doesn't seem to matter if the mods were just for show or not. Either way, they are valid evidence of abuse.

That's why "bad" dealers will snap a picture of your mod'ed Jeep, and send them off to Chrysler. That's all is all the evidence needed. :(

·
Registered
381 Posts
By the way if u do go to a non mod friendly dealer and they do snap pics and send them to to the main man you will have a note in the system not to do any warranty work to your jeep at any dealership

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
So far for me it depends on what I take it in for. Our dealer won't cover any of the aftermarket stuff of course but has done all things not related to lift/mods under warranty.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
By the way if u do go to a non mod friendly dealer and they do snap pics and send them to to the main man you will have a note in the system not to do any warranty work to your jeep at any dealership
Yea except that's not how it works

1 - 18 of 18 Posts