Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my 97 (4.0 liter), the volt gauge reads between the 14 volt mark in the center and the tick mark just to the left (between 12 and 14 volts).
About a minute or 2 of driving, I hear a beep, the Check Gauges light comes on, and the volt gauge goes dead.
This happens every time I start the jeep.
It started happening after my son gave it a good dunk in a mud puddle.
Everything else seems to work fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just dealt with this issue earlier this month. Ended up being the alternator going out -- we replaced it and all is good.

Could also be bad battery connector/cables, or some people have had issues with the PCM not telling the alternator to charge.

I also learned in my research that you can't always trust a local auto parts store checking the alternator -- many people were told it was good when it wasn't. If you want to have it checked to see if it's going out -- it's recommended to go to an alternator place. I drove mine to work and back a few times before it was starting to stumble a bit while driving. I just opted to replace it without testing it...being the Jeep has 180K miles on it -- I figured a newer one wouldn't hurt--and it did end up being the fix.

·
Registered
964 Posts
When I start my 97 (4.0 liter), the volt gauge reads between the 14 volt mark in the center and the tick mark just to the left (between 12 and 14 volts).
About a minute or 2 of driving, I hear a beep, the Check Gauges light comes on, and the volt gauge goes dead.
This happens every time I start the jeep.
It started happening after my son gave it a good dunk in a mud puddle.
Everything else seems to work fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
It's all over burn it and buy a civic it's your only hope

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
When mine did that, replacing the Alternator fixed it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The trouble im having is that my volt gauge gives inconsistant readings when the key is in the on position. Some times it will get to 12 and other times it wont get above 10. When the engine does turn over it is like the alternator isnt putting out enough volts to keep the engine running and it will stall. It is a new alternator and battery so im concerned its something worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts