Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning my volt meter spiked from normal to 19 for about a minute or so, then went back to normal. But when it went bavk to normal my gas gage went from reading half a tank to below the E. I did replace my fuel pump about a month ago. I tried disconnecting my battery to restart it but still nothing. It still reads below the E. Im not good with electrical issues at all. Any thoughts on what could have caused this?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I think you will mostly be be told to check connections and grounds first. It would be helpful to know what year your Jeep is and what motor is in it. Also whether you have been doing any work around the dash like new speakers, etc.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Connections are all fine, no tears or any sign of damage. Its a 98 wrangler 4.0L I have not done any type of work under the dash or speakers.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The first thing I would do is remove the speaker grill from the front left side of the dash. You should find 4 ground wires near the bottom speaker screw. I think they are two pairs of two. Remove the screw holding them down and clean all the oxidation off of them and reattach.

I had a similar problem about 6 months ago and that fixed it. I think Big Sarge hooked me up on that one. Can you do the cluster check on the 98.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obbOb_CpZNY

I should help you rule out a faulty fuel gauge.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first thing I would do is remove the speaker grill from the front left side of the dash. You should find 4 ground wires near the bottom speaker screw. I think they are two pairs of two. Remove the screw holding them down and clean all the oxidation off of them and reattach.

I had a similar problem about 6 months ago and that fixed it. I think Big Sarge hooked me up on that one. Can you do the cluster check on the 98.

Awesome thank you, ill try that later this afternoon and update on how everything goes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So I did the cluster check, and everything worked fine gage still under e, put about 6 galoons of gas, started the jeep up and boom went to the 3/4 gas mark. Maybe it was just a hicup I dont know but ill keep an eye on it.

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
My voltmeter used to max out and would only go back to normal after turning the Jeep off and re-starting.
Thankfully it didn't affect the gas gauge, but as has been mentioned, the voltmeter spiking was due to a loose connection - in my case, under the hood.

Took a while to find as this loose connector to the Power Distribution Centre is hidden under a plastic cover.
(Sorry, the PDC and battery are on the other side on my RHD :) )
Loose nut - Copy.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts