Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which part is next?

• Currie Antirock

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Aussie/Spartan D30 Locker

Votes: 11 42.3%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys!

Its been a while since I've gotten anything new for my jeep to continue the build so wanted to post up a vote...

I had lost my focus of the build and am getting it back on track - i was building my rig for a great daily driver but a bulletproof offroader but about 2 years ago I removed my front sway bar and have been driving it like that ever since...i got used to the roll and poor handling but want to get the nicer street driveability back so looking to pick up a Currie Antirock

Second part would be a front locker - going to go with either an Aussie or a Spartan for the front.

So, now its up to you!

What should i get??

1. Currie Antirock
2. Aussie or Spartan front locker

·
Registered
465 Posts
Front locker. From what I've read, the two lockers are very comparable. Make some diy disconnects. There are lots of threads on how to do it.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front locker. From what I've read, the two lockers are very comparable. Make some diy disconnects. There are lots of threads on how to do it.
Yeah, i've reasearched both of them extensively

I'm also very familiar with making disconnects as i've already had them...i removed those and my stock bar at the same time and sold them as a package. Not interested in going with disconnects again. Currie antirock gives a great balance between performance offroad as it gives great usable flex without flexing out of the springs which can happen while fully disconnected. Street setting is also much better overall over no swaybar at all...so, those are my reasons behind the antirock vs standard disconnects.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just for the safety factor, I'll vote Currie Antirock. Most of my buddies run them and they like the street and trail handling very much.
Always glad to help someone spend their money!

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed! Only thing better is if the part was going on your own vehicle haha

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
are you finding more issues in off camber situations or losing traction during climbs?

the AR and lockers are my two favorite offroad mods and i'm not sure which one is more beneficial over all. you will be very happy with either one, so which one will address your jeeps bigger weakness?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Just from a safety standpoint, I'd go with the Anti-rock first. Never know when you're going to have to make some crazy maneuver to dodge someone doing something stupid on the road.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
My rig has both the anti rock and a spartan up front. You will appreciate both, but as others have stated, get the AR for safety first. Great additions to your TJ.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
are you finding more issues in off camber situations or losing traction during climbs?

the AR and lockers are my two favorite offroad mods and i'm not sure which one is more beneficial over all. you will be very happy with either one, so which one will address your jeeps bigger weakness?
I'd say biggest weakness would be the sway bar (i voted for the antirock lol)

Its not so much having issues, its more so since i'm starting to drive it again as more of a daily driver, if i ever have to swerve hard to avoid something i'd rather be more stable instead of how it sits as is...

Just from a safety standpoint, I'd go with the Anti-rock first. Never know when you're going to have to make some crazy maneuver to dodge someone doing something stupid on the road.
Exactly what i was thinking too...its been like this for 2 years but I've only put 10k on it in 3 years so, not a ton of driving. Now that its coming out more, might as well get it back on track for the daily/offroader

My rig has both the anti rock and a spartan up front. You will appreciate both, but as others have stated, get the AR for safety first. Great additions to your TJ.
Agreed...both are going to happen so thats not the issue, just what i wanna do first...

Antirock will most likely be the winner

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Make your TJ street safe again (for you and others). Address the swaybar issue first.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Id say go with the locker- Sway bar disconnects really arent that expensive.

...I dont know from experience on the anti rock, but I have HEARD that their on road performance really isnt that great. I personally am satisfied with just removing the disconnects from my sway bar before I hit the trail.

I have a locker in my front axle and love how more capable my rig is

...just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I voted Currie just because I want to get one of those by the end of the year.

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
I dont know from experience on the anti rock, but I have HEARD that their on road performance really isnt that great.
that is mostly from people that have never ran one.

i set mine to the mid position when i first got it, change to the farthest position when i first took it offroad, never changed it back as the feeling was about the same.

i regularly jump between my jeep with an AR and the gf's jeep with the oem sway bar, minimal if any difference, so it isnt just a case of getting used to it.

then again, these things arent sports cars and should be driven accordingly

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Doesnt take long at all to get used to the Antirock.

Sounds like you are leaning pretty heavily on the side of the AR. That gets my vote

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Here's a question for you guys who have one: how do they perform on the road?

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
as long as you arent heading into corners at 55mph, they act just fine. a slight bit more body roll, but not nearly as drastic as some try to make it seem.

my driving style can be described as spirited, and i dont adjust driving habits between my rig with an AR or the gf's rig with an oem sway bar. she even thinks mine is more stable

·
Registered
406 Posts
Not really fair since I run a 2006 Rubicon, but the Anti-rock has been a steady, behind the scenes, solid performer and probably my best "bang for the buck" addition yet. I have it set on the loosest setting for best performance rock climbing.

On-road, just get halfway into a curve before applying the gas. TJ feels a bit loose, but once you load up the suspension there are no surprises.

Off-road, the articulation and control easily equal my disconnected friends. But I never have to lie in the mud anymore and ask them to jump on my bumper to get the disconnects lined up. I just drive the thing :)

Lockers definitely have their place. But even with a Rubicon I spend less than 1% of my off-road time locked up. Versus 100% of the time running the Currie. PLUS ... most of my locked up time could have been just as well spent with some generous use of the skinny pedal

YMMV

·
Registered
628 Posts
I ran a Spartan for a few years until is failed, causing catastrophic damage to the ring and pinion. When it was functional, I had to get used to the noise for daily driving, but since I had hubs, it wasn't terrible. I went with a full case locker (Grizzly) and really liked the trail performance, durability, and street characteristics much more than the lunchbox.

That being said, I would vote for a modification of your list. I'd go with a manual swaybar disco system (under $100) and put the additional money into a strong locker for your D30. Better yet, save awhile longer and go with a front selectable locker (Zip, if you like Yukon). A selectable locker will definitely improve your ride quality and make it a more durable offroader than a lunchbox locker would.

Another option is to add a hub kit and run the lunchbox option. You'll unlock your front axle for DD use and not be intimidated by the grinding, pops, and jerking associated with the Spartan.

Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I ran a Spartan for a few years until is failed, causing catastrophic damage to the ring and pinion. When it was functional, I had to get used to the noise for daily driving, but since I had hubs, it wasn't terrible. I went with a full case locker (Grizzly) and really liked the trail performance, durability, and street characteristics much more than the lunchbox.

That being said, I would vote for a modification of your list. I'd go with a manual swaybar disco system (under $100) and put the additional money into a strong locker for your D30. Better yet, save awhile longer and go with a front selectable locker (Zip, if you like Yukon). A selectable locker will definitely improve your ride quality and make it a more durable offroader than a lunchbox locker would.

Another option is to add a hub kit and run the lunchbox option. You'll unlock your front axle for DD use and not be intimidated by the grinding, pops, and jerking associated with the Spartan.

Just a few thoughts.

I have had the spartan for 3+ years now and only get a bit of popping in the tightest of turns. It has been fantastic on trails for me. I agree there are better lockers out there, but feel for the money, the spartan is worth every penny and very easy to install.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts