Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently figured out how to pull up a transmission temp gauge via Torque app. I was alarmed to see normal operating temperatures between 195-210 degF while vehicle was in operation. Granted it's a 2-door, lifted, 35's and geared to 4.56 but by no means was the transmission struggling. I've searched and came across similar topics where 240+ becomes an issue, some discuss 160-185 is optimal and others discuss 200 is fine.

The jeep has 7,000 miles and my concern is during winter months where I'll drop to 32" tires and add a plow for personal use. Should I consider a deeper pan?

·
Administrator
12,548 Posts
I run 175ish with the my 4 door on 35's.. per the on board evic thing. Maybe try a larger transmission cooler..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have a link to one? My 18' came with the factory cooler. Is there one to install in-line or replace?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
There are tons of aftermarket options. Probably too many to choose from. And they come in a few different styles.

Pretty much all of the will install inline with your existing cooler. I don't know exactly what the JKs come with from the factory (I have a manual trans) so someone else would be better at answering more specific questions.

·
Super Moderator
23,399 Posts
I wonder where the torque app is pulling the temp from? I like 4jeepn have evic (on last 3 jks) and I run lift and normally 35's with 4.10 gears and mine is in the 165-172 range never have I seen it above 172 even in 108F pulling a camper. When shifted to drive evic reads engine coolant temp for some reason so I wonder if the torq app is pulling some engine coolant temp somehow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone ever had this issue with their evic. There's times I'll check the coolant temperature and then switch over to the trans temperature and it's identical! And I know the trans temperature reading is higher than what it actually is. And then sometimes the trans temperature will go way down to where it's supposed to be. Somehow the trans temperature is getting the same reading as the coolant temperature and then it's sometimes breaks away from that and gives you the real trans temperature reading.

·
Super Moderator
23,399 Posts
Has anyone ever had this issue with their evic. There's times I'll check the coolant temperature and then switch over to the trans temperature and it's identical! And I know the trans temperature reading is higher than what it actually is. And then sometimes the trans temperature will go way down to where it's supposed to be. Somehow the trans temperature is getting the same reading as the coolant temperature and then it's sometimes breaks away from that and gives you the real trans temperature reading.
the only time this should happen is when the tranny is in park as the when in park the evic displays engine coolant temp when in tranny temp mode. Test it out shift from drive to park while toggling between engine coolant and tranny temps. when in park both will be the same when shift into D they change.

Reactions: Cummins_Powered

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's been awhile since I checked it but I will definitely have to pay attention to that now. If that's true why do they have it set up that way? Why wouldn't it stay in tranny temp no matter what the gear selector is?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
the only time this should happen is when the tranny is in park as the when in park the evic displays engine coolant temp when in tranny temp mode. Test it out shift from drive to park while toggling between engine coolant and tranny temps. when in park both will be the same when shift into D they change.
^Exactly. I have a TrailDash set to display both ECT and TFT so I can watch this happen when shifting into and out of Park.

My TFT is usually 165-169F. I can't recall ever seeing it about 169F.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder where the torque app is pulling the temp from? I like 4jeepn have evic (on last 3 jks) and I run lift and normally 35's with 4.10 gears and mine is in the 165-172 range never have I seen it above 172 even in 108F pulling a camper. When shifted to drive evic reads engine coolant temp for some reason so I wonder if the torq app is pulling some engine coolant temp somehow.
Curious, too. I wonder if an IR gun on the transmission housing would give me an accurate reading?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
The way the WA580 is built, it won't send temp info in park or neutral. Why FCA decided to display coolant temp in those conditions is beyond me.

OP, are you looking at tranny temps while actually moving and in gear? The stock cooler works great, and the thermostat will keep the temps above 170*, or so, so I'd expect to see 170-200* if everything is working, no matter how hard you push it. Low 200s won't hurt a thing, but if you are seeing that routinely, something isn't as it should be.

Mark.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The way the WA580 is built, it won't send temp info in park or neutral. Why FCA decided to display coolant temp in those conditions is beyond me.

OP, are you looking at tranny temps while actually moving and in gear? The stock cooler works great, and the thermostat will keep the temps above 170*, or so, so I'd expect to see 170-200* if everything is working, no matter how hard you push it. Low 200s won't hurt a thing, but if you are seeing that routinely, something isn't as it should be.

Mark.

Yes, I'm observing average temps around 200 while driving.

·
Super Moderator
23,399 Posts
my guess and only a guess is the evic measures fluid temps out of the cooler and the torq app coming into the cooler....or not lol.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
my guess and only a guess is the evic measures fluid temps out of the cooler and the torq app coming into the cooler....or not lol.
Torque and EVIC should be reporting from the same sensor. However, Torque has several transmission temp PIDs, and may use different formulas for them.

OP, which PID are you using, and what's the formula behind it?

Mark

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OBD2 Mode PID 2130
Transmission temp (Jeep 2012+)
Trans.Fl.Tmp
Min value 0.0
Max value 220
scale factor x1
unit type degF
Equation type L-50
OBD Header 7E1

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well Jadmt you are right! When the evic is set to trans temp and you are in drive it displays the correct reading. When you shift it into neutral or Park, then it displays the coolant temperature. However it's still says trans temp even though it's displaying the coolant temperature. I just don't know why FCA would do that. Weird I don't post very much, but I read this forum almost daily and sure learned a lot from it! Everybody out there is great! Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
7,732 Posts
My stock JK Rubicon's highest transmission temp reported by the EVIC was about 174F, and that was for a couple of seconds. It usually runs right around 170F. While 200F is hot the fluid can certainly handle it.

I would consider a larger cooler, and follow a severe service maintenance schedule for the transmission. A deeper pan will take longer for the fluid to come up to temperature, and will run just as hot. Only take longer to reach 200F.

As mentioned just be sure the Jeep is in Drive or Reverse when viewing temps, otherwise it will give coolant temps.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
OBD2 Mode PID 2130

Transmission temp (Jeep 2012+)

Trans.Fl.Tmp

Min value 0.0

Max value 220

scale factor x1

unit type degF

Equation type L-50

OBD Header 7E1
That should be right, though I'll defer to those who use Torque to confirm. (I use it on my PSD, but use a TD2 on the jeep).

I trust you don't have an EVIC to confirm that Torque is reading correctly?

If you really are seeing 200* temps driving around, I'd suggest troubleshooting before spending money on upgraded coolers and deeper pans. For example, when the temp is 200*, is the cooler, and the line from the thermostat to the cooler, hot? How about the return line back to the thermostat? An IR thermometer pointed in the right place can tell you a lot.

Mark

·
Registered
416 Posts
Smaller tires and colder temps should make the tranny run cooler in the winter. My concern (if any) would be with the 35s in the summer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts