Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I know im a lil late but I just found out about this tonight....if you put the stock waggs on without stretching the wb alls it would do is lift right.....and those springs would be cheaper to buy then a lift.... also what year wagon do you use and is it possible to just through them in and drive around or would I need to do anything else thanks.... :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Another cheap lift trick if you are not stretching your YJ is to put Cherokee(XJ) main leaves or the second leaves into the stock YJ spring packs. You have to do some cutting on the springs to keep them from sticking out, but you get 1.5 to 2ins of lift with them. And XJs are easier to find than FSJs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I am starting a yj build with my family. So just so I do this right I want the 4" stretch. Do I use wagoneer front leaf springs in the front and rear of my yj? I dont have to move any spring mounts? and use 7 pack springs.

·
Registered
582 Posts
That is correct. You will have to put the longer end of the springs on the fixed mount and not the shackles to get longer wheelbase.

As a side note, not all 7 pack waggy springs are the same. I ended up with some heavier ones in the rear and ended up removing the 2 smallest leafs in order to get the jeep flat and not stiff as a board.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am going to use wagoneer springs in my build. I am wanting to buy new springs but is there one brand that I should be looking for? I know it was said to try and find 7 layer springs. also stock height springs or lift spring?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
what if I was to use these spring from rancho model RS44044? Here is a link

Rancho Part RS44044 - Leaf Spring

I just want to make sure I get the right thing. This is my first jeep build .
Your jeep will be really tall because those are lift springs for a FSJ. Not to mention it won't ride very well (will be stiff). Depending on what your wanting. If you keep it spring under with stock wagoneer springs and add a 1" body lift and some aftermarket shackles you could easily obtain 4" of lift.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The rancho 44044 springs work very well sprung under on YJs it dose help to pull a leaf or two but you don't need to. I know more then a few guys running 44044 on all four corners on YJs.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
the ones in the link are XJ springs. those work but are a lot longer and you need to do quite a bit of work so you can run them. the rear the shackles need to be off the bumper and the gas tank is in the way

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stretching your YJ with Wagoneer leafs! If something is unclear just ask. I will add things as needed because I'm sure I missed something.

>>Look closely to make sure that they are 44" long with the center pin being at 21"/23"(offset). On top of the 2" stretch from these leafs, they also provide 2" of lift if you get stock wagoneer leafs. Most people recommend that you use the seven leaf ones. You can find these at most salvage yards. If you want to buy them new you can, but hang on to your wallet! :whistling:
So 77 miles away is the closest yard that sells them... and thats at still an astonishing 75 bucks used.... So at thaqt point, i would rather buy new!

But which ones should I really get? I dont want to be riding a plank...

I see that I should get the 7 leaf packs opposed to the 5 leaf packs. And Ive read about the different leaf thicknesses...

Also, are they supposed to be 44 or 47 inches long? cause you said 44 but this site VVV shows 47 at 22.5 and 24.5

I can not find used ones anywhere near by. So I would like to go with Home Page

The guy I spoke with was very helpful. He even knew exactly where I was going with these springs as he dealt with many others putting them under YJs.

Do I go with the 7 leaf?
1977 - 1983 Jeep Cherokee , Wagoneer / 1984 - 1992 Grand Wagoneer / 1977 - 1992 J10, J20 front leaf spring, 7 leaf, 1335 lbs capacity

or the 5 leaf?
1977 - 1983 Jeep Cherokee , Wagoneer / 1984 - 1992 Grand Wagoneer / 1977 - 1992 J10, J20 front leaf spring, 5 leaf, 960 lbs capacity

I know the 7 leafs are like 375 pounds capacity stronger. But why would I go with those over the 5 leaf then? Some people even pull out 1 or 2 leafs from a 7 pack for a softer ride.

I got the exact specs on thickness and free arch as well. i just need help deciding which is better and to get around 3" lift and also picking out the proper shackles to order for this.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I will be sourcing this project soon.

My short term goal is to stay SUA with waggy springs.
Going to do front and rear.

I understand I will need.

4 front wagoneer springs.
Both driveshafts lengthened (or replaced)
Axle perch wedges for caster correction
Bushings

For stock waggy springs doing a stretch with 1" boomerangs, is there anything else I will need to buy before doing this?

41 - 60 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.