Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
might be worth noting, if you swap in a ford hp44 you can do the front stretch without having to lengthen the front ds. The horizontal yoke to centerline measurement is a few inches longer on it than the d44

·
Registered
56 Posts
Okay, i just bought a yj and am looking to start my build and am gathering information . Im looking to do an SOA and the waggy springs. I heard that to run 36-37 inch tires you need to do a stretch which is my reason for doing this. Also heard alot about the 8.8 swap, what gears should i run with those tires? And are you guys with the soa and the waggy springs running an sye? also what size drop pitman arm will i need?

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
if you're staying with the stock front axle, the largest numerically you can go is 4.88:1. that being said, i wouldn't trust the brakes on a d30 to stop 37s reliably.
id recommend a fixed output yoke with a slip yoke driveshaft (cv or not) for waggy soa.
i run a flat pitman arm with no drop, but then im running a completely different front axle with different steering.

you don't need to stretch to run them, but
you might want to do a lot of research before deciding on 37s

·
Registered
56 Posts
im working on reasearch now, not exactly sure if im running 37's or not, whats a good front axle to use?

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
ford high pinion dana 44, with a 9" rear, or the 8.8 but you'll need different axle shafts and it will be noticeably narrower than the front axle unless you narrow it

·
Registered
56 Posts
okay thanks for the info! im gonna continue with research into the build to get what i want out of my jeep . And soon start gathering my parts so i can get alot done at once rather than little by little. Getting more excited about it after everything i find out!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
what years ford trucks had the hp44/9" combo? or what are the best years to snag?

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
ideally for the d44:
76-77 bronco, f100, f150
78-79 f150 high boy
78-79 f250

drum brake 44's that can be converted:

72-75 bronco, f100, f150

I believe the 9 can be found behind all those trucks with maybe the exception of the f250's

The 44s are 30 spline inner, 19 spline outer

The 9 inch should be the big bearing 31 spline so long as its not out of a car.

most ideal junkyard 9" will have a large N cast into the center chunk, for nodular iron. Do a little more research into the 9 inch as i dont remember everything off the top of my head

·
Registered
582 Posts
I will be sourcing this project soon.

My short term goal is to stay SUA with waggy springs.
Going to do front and rear.

I understand I will need.

4 front wagoneer springs.
Both driveshafts lengthened (or replaced)
Axle perch wedges for caster correction
Bushings

For stock waggy springs doing a stretch with 1" boomerangs, is there anything else I will need to buy before doing this?
You dont need driveshafts spring under with waggys. Unless you are stretching that is. I am spring over with waggys and still using stock front. I am stretched 1" front and rear. Wait until you are soa to get shafts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
devilrmk said:
You dont need driveshafts spring under with waggys. Unless you are stretching that is. I am spring over with waggys and still using stock front. I am stretched 1" front and rear. Wait until you are soa to get shafts.
What size tire are you running? Got pics? I'm starting to put together the parts to do this hopefully later this year.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

Really good to know.
Sweet I can peice together my Jeep! YAY1! I don't have to park it and look at it just sitting there waiting. I can slow build it.

Guess I'll start a 95 slow build thread to compete with the other "slow build" thread that's on here.

So looking forward to the smooth ride of waggy springs.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
i recommend taking a leaf out of the packs you use out back, they're somewhat stiff, ill probably be doing that with mine when i get new shocks. my plan is to take out the 3rd one down, 2nd leaf is good to keep for adding strength to the main leaf, since it runs almost all the way under the hanger/shackle mounts

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am running 33's and same as dark, i suggest dropping a couple leafs from the rears. I dropped the two shortest from mine and it feels just like the front.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Two shots, last is current, first is just with different wheels.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Stretched 1" both ends

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone have any facts if a xj front shaft will work when stretched. I'd like to go with a new shaft but money is tight at the moment for that if I get by with this. And clarification would help here: someone said that Yj springs are 45" and the waggys are 44? Is this the case?

Thanks! !!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Not sure the lengths but waggys are longer.

·
Registered
249 Posts
how are you guys mounting your front shocks since the axle is moved forward 2 inches... are you making longer shock tabs or moving your hoops into the correct position?

61 - 80 of 91 Posts